31

Chapter 31

The final fight - Katherine's POV

Her lungs hurt, that's all she knew. She was too tired to even try and swim up again. The heavy current from the water carried Katherine back and forth and it was totally black. Her eyes were open, but she couldn't see what was up or down. Limbs exhausted from trying so long to get herself to the surface.

Tired.

She was just tired. And drowning.

If Katherine died, she wouldn't have to face the horror what was going on up there.

'You're not going to die,' a voice unknown to her echoed through her mind. 'You're his weak spot. You can kill him.'

With all the strength she had, Katherine turned her head in the water to face a bright light not so far away from her.

'Maturin is my name,' the voice, strong and firm continued. 'You can kill the culprit, the Eater of Worlds. IT has no emotion, except for hunger and fear. Never had, not since the beginning of us both. Until now. He feels for you, IT cares. And it hurts IT. Burns.'

Katherine didn't feel the pain in her lungs anymore , it was replaced by wonder and amazement. She felt warmed by the light, although Katherine had no clue who Maturin was.

'You'll live to kill IT,' the voice became vague, distant and the warmth made place for the cold of the dark water again.

If she could, Katherine would have yelled to stay.

'I can't,' Maturin said. 'I don't have long. I'm dying.'

That made her sad, yet Katherine didn't know why. In a second, the light and voice was gone and the burning of her lungs returned full force.

Her arms moved, slowly and painful, trying to put enough force to get herself to the surface and breath the stale air of the sewer chamber.

Katherine didn't have to fight, didn't have to swim because two large hands grabbed her by the waist and pulled her up without a problem. Relief washed over her and Katherine thought it must be Ben or Bill who had seen her struggle.

Her hands came to rest on the sleeves while Katherine's face found the water's surface and the first thing Katherine did, was take a deep breath in. The pain in her lungs worse than before, but another deep breath later, the pain subdued to a gentle burning sensation.

"Don't die," the man grumbled before her and Katherine snapped her head towards his.

Robert looked back at her, hair wet and sticking to his forehead. Blue eyes locked with hers and an angry scowl around his lips.

"You ...," she coughed, "saved me?"

A low growl emerged from his chest and the blue of his orbs turned ember in a flick of a second. Katherine still held onto his sleeves and didn't think when she grabbed his hand. The touch on the bare skin of Robert, made him hiss out in pain. The contact brought forth a loud hissing sound.

He pulled back angrily and jumped up.

"Stay...on...the...pile," he growled and grew larger. "I have business to take care of."

IT turned, his legs grew larger and larger until Pennywise was spider like again.

'You can kill him,' the gentle voice echoed through her head while IT made his way towards Eddie.

IT's voice bellowed through the cave with laughter and seemed to completely forgotten about her. The next sound was so harsh to her ears that Katherine jumped up. The tiredness completely forgotten while the cold water dripped from her long hair.

With horror and wide eyes, Katherine saw how one of Pennywise's claws had pierced Eddie's chest and pulled back. The scream she had heard was of Richie and everyone looked in horror how Eddie's frail body fell down.

"No," Katherine whispered in shock, her eyes flickered between Eddie and the others.

She caught Bill's gaze. She only knew him for a short time, but his features told her everything Katherine needed to know when his cold stare met hers. Katherine clenched her fists and didn't think twice.

She ran. Through the water without slipping, towards the Loser's Club who were tearing Richie off Eddie's lifeless body.

"I can kill IT," she said to Bill who still looked at her.

"How?"

"Touch. If I touch IT, IT burns," she quickly said.

"How?" Beverly asked confused.

"He loves me," Katherine blurted out. "The part that's Robert," she quickly said, "loves me."

"Impossible," Ben muttered, a hint of disgust in his voice.

"Ooooooh, Loser's," the voice of Pennywise boomed against the walls and back again.

Debris fell down from the ceiling when the Spider ran towards the group and Katherine was pulled out of IT's way by Bill. Scratching her elbow against the wall and she hissed out of pain.

The sound was caught by Pennywise who turned his head to face her with a frown on IT's face. For a moment, Katherine caught his gaze, blue eyes stared back at her from a distance as if Robert wanted to make sure she was okay.

"Robert," she spoke while she pushed Bill back who tried to pull her back. "Stop."

It caught the Spider off guard and IT shook IT's head in confusion.

"You have to stop," Katherine spoke. "No more killing."

"Little human can think she can command the Eater of Worlds?"

Katherine rolled her eyes and had enough with the arrogance the beast showed. Yet, she did a few steps closer to the Spider, giving the others time to get out of Pennywise's way.

"No," she said and shook her head sad. "I can't command you. I can beg you, Robert."

She had whispered his name. So silent that Katherine wasn't sure he would hear her. Somewhere behind her back, she felt Bill slip something cold in the back pocket of her jeans. A movement that made Katherine squint, but she kept her eyes on Pennywise who stood motionless while IT looked at her.

"Katherine," the voice that came from deep within the beast sounded nothing like Pennywise. It was all Robert and when the Spider seemed to charge towards her, the Loser's all screamed while Katherine merely closed her eyes.

She braced herself for the impact, the pain and death.