Chapter 9

Katherine's POV

Apparently, the Carnival stood in Derry for the last two weeks in August. Ever since the first time Robert took her there, they met up every evening to visit the fair. The Summer heat had returned for a last time before Fall would take over the town yet, Katherine wasn't bothered by the warmth anymore. She even stopped cleaning up the house she currently lived in and started to enjoy Derry.

Mike Hanlon didn't show up anymore and the books were still lying around in her chaotic living-room when Robert came to pick her up. It was the last day of the fair and there was going to be a live band playing. A huge fireworks was scheduled at ten pm and Robert told her everyone would be home by 11 pm.

When the doorbell rang, Katherine's heart jumped in her throat and she felt the butterflies in her stomach. When she opened the front door and locked eyes with Robert Gray, a smile appeared around her lips while she let him enter.

"Come in," her voice cheerful yet tired. "I just need my shoes."

The red summer dress fell widely around her hips and she grinned to herself when noticing it caught his attention. For once, she would wear red heels and Katherine felt Robert's gaze travelling all over her.

She figured it out quite fast : red was his favourite colour. A few days ago, on the Fair, he had gifted her a red balloon which now floated at the ceiling of her living room. The thing didn't seem to lower, not even after a few days hanging up there. Katherine sometimes played with the cord, moving it to another place.

One night ago, she woke up to find it lingering in her bedroom. In the corner by the window. Although she wondered how it got there, Katherine slept with all the doors open and figured the summer's breeze from the open windows must have carried it to her bedroom.

"You look tired, my dear," his voice hummed from behind her.

"I sleep awful," she admitted while she slid into her pumps. "I think I must renew my medicines."

When she was ready and smiled at him, Robert was leaning against the doorframe and stared at her. He wore his black jeans and black shirt, simple yet effective because Katherine felt her throat go dry.

"I love red," he mumbled before he shook his head and gestured to leave.

"You do?" Her voice innocent but Robert glanced at her sideways with a playful smirk. "I had no idea."

She laughed when he sighed and put his hand to rest on her lower back

"Little minx," Robert chuckled, a sound that send a warmth straight into her lower belly.

They walked together in silence, like they mostly did and when they arrived at the Fair, the sky was already getting darker

They walked together in silence, like they mostly did and when they arrived at the Fair, the sky was already getting darker. They were met with the glitter-like lights and the sound of live music. Katherine held her pace, making Robert do the same and look at her.

"Let's skip the haunted house today," she murmured and avoided his gaze.

She felt too proud to admit she got scared yesterday when Robert suddenly disappeared while they visited it for a third time. One more thing that made Katherine put a visit to the psychiatrist on the top of her list. But hers was in Portland and it would have to be through Skype. So, she didn't came to it yet.

"Why? I thought you loved haunted houses," something in his voice made her heart skip, and it wasn't in a good way.

"I do," she quickly said, still looking at something that wasn't there just to avoid his blue eyes. "It's just that I felt...uneasy."

Silence lingered between them until she suddenly felt two of his fingers lifting up her chin to look at him. A bright grin on his face but his blue eyes scanned every inch of her face.

"Then we'll dance instead," he offered gently.

"Dance," she scoffed and started laughing out of nervousness. "Oh no, really, I can't..."

"You caaaaan," he sung and took her by the hand to guide her to the wooden dance floor. 

The cover band played older rock songs and when Katherine saw Robert dancing in front of her, trying to cheer her on to act silly together, she laughed loudly. His enthusiasm worked and before she knew it, Katherine was twirling around in his arms and snapping her fingers on the sound of 'Hey Mickey, you're so fine'.

She forgot about everything when Robert's large hands twirled her and pulled her against him. He repeated the movement a few times, which left Katherine dizzy in her head and her laughter echoed through the fair. Something that made Robert laughing out loud too and both of them didn't care about the looks the pair got from the others around them.

They sometimes stopped their dancing and bought some drinks. Wine for her, beer for him. Soon one became two and Katherine lost count when Robert gently dragged her on the dance floor for a ballad.

Her mind was fuzzy, in a good way, when he rested his hands on her lower back. His warmth against her and Katherine rested her head onto his shoulder. The lights danced around them while the slow guitar set the rhythm for their dance. She picked up on his faint breathing and looked up.

When a set of dark blue orbs gazed back at her, Katherine's first reaction would have been to take a step back. Robert's features were serious, almost angry-like when he looked down at her. For just a second, Katherine saw conflict in his eyes before his hands moved from her back to cradle her face.

She stood still, frozen in place when his fingertips caressed her skin. Katherine hardly realised she was holding her breath when his lips suddenly came crashing on hers. The kiss wasn't sweet nor gentle. There was an urge hidden inside it, a hunger she couldn't quite place. Yet, it stirred a heat inside her stomach and between her thighs and before Katherine was fully aware, her hands pulled him even closer to her. She tightly gripped his shirt until her knuckles turned white and deepened the kiss. Their teeth collided, their lips bruised and both out of breath when Robert broke the kiss.

"We should get you home," he suddenly spoke and didn't wait for Katherine's response.

He took her hand and guided her through the masses who were gathering for the fireworks.

They passed a gay couple having fun on the bridge and some young men who were following the couple towards the middle of the bridge.