Chapter 14

The next morning, Kaylie awoke to the sound of a gong. Thinking she was back in the Training School, she opened her eyes, expecting to see the familiar rows of beds. It took her a moment to remember, but then she realized where she was.

"Good morning!" said Faye. Kaylie groaned.

"Too early?" asked Faye. Kaylie shook her head.

"Nah. Just forgot about this for a moment" she said. Faye laughed.

"Get used to it" she said. "This is life."

Kaylie didn't laugh. "Why?" she asked.

"It's your birth" said Faye.

"My parents. . ." said Kaylie, but then she shook her head.

"What?" asked Faye. Kaylie sighed.

"They never said they were Shifters. They can't be!" she said.

"They have to have been. There haven't been Shifters born from humans in so long" said Faye. There was a knock on the door.

"There are" said Cirdan as Faye opened the door. "I heard you" he said, blushing. "Tala is not child of Shifters. Her parents are humans."

"Really? But that's so rare . . ." said Faye wonderously.

"Gawain has summoned Celebrian and Kaylie" said Cirdan.

"Why Celebrian?" asked Faye.

"They're new. All of the ones he summoned. Nahele and Makaalo and Harrison were summoned too" said Cirdan. Kaylie stood up and walked over to Cirdan. Celebrian followed.

"I'll see you later then" said Celebrian.

"Okay" said Faye. The two of them followed Cirdan out of the room.

"What does he want?" asked Celebrian. Cirdan shook his head.

"I don't know" he said, and then he knocked on the second door. A girl that Kaylie didn't know opened it.

"Hey Micah" said Cirdan. "I need Makaalo and Tala."

"Makaalo!" shouted Micah. The girl walked over.

"Hey Cirdan" she said.

"Where's Tala?" he asked.

"She hasn't come back" said Micah. Kaylie shivered.

"Well, alright" said Cirdan, and he left, with Kaylie, Celebrian, and Makaalo. At the next door, a boy answered.

"Hey Malachite" said Cirdan. "I need Harrison." Kaylie noticed that the boy looked like Micah.

"That's Micah's brother" whispered Makaalo. Kaylie nodded. Then Harrison appeared at the door.

"Thanks!" said Cirdan. At the last door, Nahele himself opened it.

"Hey Nahele. Gawain wants to see you" said Cirdan. Nahele grinned good-naturedly and followed the group. Cirdan led them down the stairs. They came to the dungeons again. Kaylie shivered.

"Okay, this is where I leave you" said Cirdan. "Gawain should be here soon to get you."

The group sat on the stone benches by the stairs. Cirdan walked away, up the stairs, leaving them.

"So. Looks like we're alone" said Nahele, and Makaalo laughed. Her laugh seemed almost forced. Kaylie realized that the others seemed as nervous as she was. Well, all of them except Nahele. But before she could wonder about his fearlessness, she heard footsteps.

"Hello" said Gawain.