Chapter 1

Kaylie wasn't used to being afraid. It wasn't in her vocabulary. She was a strong girl, and always had been. But when your best friend waves a sword at you, strength tends to fly away, leaving only shaking hands and the possibility of impaling your own foot.

"I can't do this, Reku" she said, setting the sword down on the weapons cart next to her.

Reku smiled, and sheathed his. It was actually his sword, a rarity for the warriors at this school. It was a charity school, and most of the students barely had an article of clothing to their name, much less a sword. "Sure you can. You're great with weapons" he said graciously.

"No, I can shoot a bow and arrow. You're great with weapons. And I meant that I can't fight you. What if I hurt you?" Kaylie twisted her silver ring nervously. She had inherited it from an ancestor so far in the past that nobody could remember their name. There was a moon engraved in the metal. It was her only possession.

"I thought I was great with weapons? If I'm so great, then you can't hurt me, right?"

"I suppose. You sure think highly of yourself, Reku."

"You said it first. I just . . . agreed." He wore a cocky smile, and she knew what he was thinking. She had no defense. Instead, she retrieved her sword.

"I think I'll duel you now, sir" she said. He smiled, and the sound of their swords clashing echoed throughout the courtyard.

--

At dinner that night, Penelope, the head of the school, made an announcement. It was a great distraction from Kaylie's food, which was horrendously stale bread and overcooked lamb.

"How many of you are aware of the war being fought across the second and third kingdoms?" asked Penelope. She was a stern, blond woman that had the rare ability to quiet a crowd with a single glance. Whether you were a child or an adult, she made you feel as if you had stolen her purse, and she was going to give you a talking-to if you didn't own up. Just about everyone at the school was afraid of her.

A number of hands went up at her question, Kaylie's included. She had seen it firsthand. Her grandfather lived in the third kingdom, and they had visited just before the war broke out. They had stayed just a few days too long. Kaylie's Mom was almost killed in one of the battles. They had returned home, shaken, but alive, with Kaylie's grandparents in tow.

“That war has breached Terranoct” Penelope continued. Kaylie gasped, and she wasn't the only one. Their kingdom, the fifth, had been attacked.

“What are we going to do?” someone wailed. Kaylie could see Penelope gradually losing control of the room, but the headmistress regained it with a piercing glare.

“The war is near our Southern border, by Varjord. There is no cause for worry, at this moment.” It seemed as if the entire room sighed. Terranoct's border with Varjord, the second kingdom, was very far from the school, which sat near the Northern border with Relanat, the seventh kingdom. “The war is important, however, because we are going to begin taking in child refugees. Starting tomorrow, they will be arriving. There will be no training for a week, to accommodate our guests.” Everyone started talking, and Penelope made no move to regain control.

Kaylie turned to Reku, who was sitting next to her. “How many refugees are they sending us?” she asked, and he shrugged.

“I hope not too many. We don't have that kind of space in the dorms.” He smiled at her. “Are you going to eat that?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Nah, go ahead” Kaylie said, half-smiling at his appetite.