Chapter 4

Across the land was a woman. She stood alone, her eyes reflecting the moon. This was what she stared at. Until a man walked up behind her.

"Do not worry. We will find her" he said, his voice stiff and formal, his tunic obviously too small. The woman, also in a tunic, sighed and turned to him. Her eyes reflected the sadness in his eyes.

"She has been gone since she was only seven. She was just a girl! Why would they take a child?" she cried in grief. The man's awkwardness was apparent. "Why, why is she gone?" screamed the woman.

"Celine, we have no idea, there's nothing we can do!" said the man, his voice starting to sound agitated. Celine turned back to face the moon. Beneath her feet was a balcony. Beneath the balcony was space. A canyon lay below the pair of them. Celine looked down, as if contemplating throwing herself off. The man reached out to take her hand, as if he knew what she was thinking. "Celine" he said. "You know I love you, and our daughter. But it's hopeless to look for her now. We will not find her!" he said. Celine jerked her hand out of his, and placed it on the railing.

"Kenrik" she said, and Kenrik sighed. "Celine. We can't bring her back" he said. "But we can try. And we will find her!".

"You say that, yet do you mean it?" asked Celine. "Tell me one thing, do not switch topics. If you say we will find her, then find her. I want my daughter back" she said.

Kenrik turned on hisheel and walked through the balcony doors. Celine stared at the moon again.

"Tala" she sighed. Then she turned to follow Kenrik back into the cliff-hut. The moon stared down at where she had been standing. The silver light illuminated the red-brick hut, and two shadows inside. And a dragon flew by overhead, carrying a child.