Chapter 13

Kaylie looked at Faye.

"This is bad because....." she said. Faye looked at her.

"Gawain chose you. He creates the matches. He wanted you for some reason" said Faye.

"Wait. How old is he?" asked Kaylie.

"He's a boy. That's all I know. He's not a man yet" said Faye.

"I-" Kaylie began, but she couldn't finish. Who was Gawain? Why did he choose her?

***

Kaylie and the other girls were sitting on their beds talking. So far, Kaylie had met Faye, Celebrian, Verona, and Shayde. Faye had been here since she was 5, Celebrian had been here for about a month, Verona had been here for two years, and Shayde had been born here. Apparently, some Shifters chose to stay here after they were finished training, and two of them were Shayde's parents. Kaylie thought this place might be exciting, despite the kidnapping part.

"Hey, Kaylie" said Faye, and Kaylie realized that the others were gone. "It's dinner time!" Kaylie stood up and followed Faye out of the room, down the stairs, and to a large hall. Grand tables were set up, and Faye walked over to one of them.

She pointed to a different table. "You can eat there. It's where the newcomers eat" she said. Kaylie walked over, feeling left out, but she cheered up when she saw Celebrian heading over there as well.

"Hi" said Celebrian, a warm smile on her face. They sat down, and Kaylie noticed one other girl and two boys at the table with them.

"The tables are set up by how long you've been here" explained Celebrian. She pointed to the first table. "They've been here for at least 5 years" she said. She pointed to the second table. "They've been here for at least one year" she said. "We've been here for less then a year."

"Newbie?" asked one of the boys, his long black hair nearly covering his face.

"Yep" said Celebrian, blushing.

"He's my match. Harrison" whispered Celebrian. Harrison laughed.

"You should learn to whisper" he teased. The other boy looked up, and his eyes met Kaylie's.

"Hey" he said. "I'm Nahele." His blue eyes seemed to see right through Kaylie. His short, dirty blond hair was really messy, but it looked good on him.

"I'm Kaylie" said Kaylie. The other girl looked up.

"I'm Makaalo. Nahele's sister" she said. Kaylie smiled. Then something occured to her.

"Where's Tala?" she whispered. Makaalo looked curiously at her.

"Tala's in my room" she said. Kaylie's eyes lit up.

"Where is she?" asked Kaylie. Makaalo shook her head.

"Cirdan took her for studying. She's not back yet" said Makaalo. Kaylie sighed.

"I hope she's alright" she said.

"She's probably fine" said Makaalo.

"So" said Kaylie, to change the subject. "What are the five doors in the tower for?"

"One's our room" said Celebrian. "One's the other girls' room. Two are the boys' rooms. The last one leads down, to the suites."

"What suites?" asked Kaylie.

"The match suites. When Shifters graduate, the first thing they have to do is . . . um . . . reproduce. They get suties for that. Then they can either join the army, or live here. When they - we - choose to stay here, they - we - live in the suites" explained Makaalo.

"Oh" said kaylie.

Nahele laughed. "That didn't sound like a happy 'oh'" he teased.

"It kind of wasn't" said kaylie, sighing.

"Gawain's her match" said Celebrian.

Nahele sighed. "Should have known better" he said. Kaylie looked curiously at him.

"I don't have a match yet" said Nahele. "I was hoping it was you."

 Kaylie smiled. "Thanks" she said.

"You're welcome" said Nahele, smiling.

They finished their meal quickly, making small talk. Then Celebrian and Kaylie walked back to their room, meeting up with Faye, Shayde, and Verona. In bed that night, Kaylie thought about matches. She wanted to be matched with Nahele. But Gawain had chosen her. Kaylie was unsure whether that was good or bad. But there was nothing she could do, do she finally fell asleep.