A New Alliance

Teddy had been out delivering mail to the post office for Mr. Carson, as he'd found himself in terrible need of something to do. He'd been on his way back to the Abbey, much prouder of himself than someone should be from doing such a small job. But, alas, good feelings like this often don't tend to last. 

     It was just Theodore's luck that he ran into Lewis and his crew, once again being the bullies they loved to be. 

     "Hey! It's bastard boy!" Johnathon called out, pointing towards Teddy. The younger boy couldn't help that his ears turned red at this, and he tried to keep his head down as he made his way down the street. He was honestly getting quite tired of the conflict between his group and Lewis'. 

     "So, he's still here then? They haven't sent him off to some orphanage?" 

     "Or a workhouse?" Teddy honestly had to stop himself from laughing at some of their voices. Being a few years older than him, these boys had reached that prime time in their lives where they were close to being men, which included their voices changing. And, although Teddy knew it would be his turn soon, he couldn't help but feel that their taunts meant much less to him when their voices were cracking in the middle of them. 

     "Not yet, I'm afraid. They'd rather keep their spots open for you four," Teddy replied, smiling a bit to himself as he continued walking.

     Perhaps Percy had been right, and you did get used to the hatred in people's hearts. Eventually, you'd find that the words of strangers and enemies don't matter as much to you anymore, and you can start finding ways of replying.

     Teddy found that, with each time someone referred to his illegitimacy in a less-than-friendly way, as many often did, he was affected less and less. It was just a part of his life now and, although it made things harder at times, he'd come through with great friends, who he now trusted even more than he had before.

     He was loyal to those who'd stayed loyal to him. He knew that, no matter what happened with Abigail, he would stay her friend, as she had been the first to accept him, not in spite of his heritage, but with it. He would never doubt Everett, who was working so hard to overcome his ignorance, and Percy, who'd helped him deal with the judgement from others. Even Katherine and Simon were part of Teddy's circle of loyalty. When other students had chosen to distance themselves from him, they'd both made the decision to be kind, even though they weren't as close to him as they were to others.

     Teddy was able to ignore any other words from the boys as he continued his walk down the road, towards Downton. He was once again stopped, however, by a familiar voice calling out his name.

     Now, Teddy hadn't even expected this woman to know who he was, not to mention want to talk to him. But, as he turned, there was Mrs. Crawley, standing in her lawn and waving at him to come to her. 

     Glancing around, as if she could possible mean anyone else, Teddy made his way towards her home, curious and a bit worried about what she could possibly want with him. 

     "Hello Theodore, how are you today?"

     "I'm well, thank you, ma'am," Teddy replied as pleasantly as he could. Mrs. Crawley smiled at him and motioned for him to follow her inside, so, of course, he did.

     "Please, feel free to hang up your coat. You'll be here for a bit." At these words, Teddy could feel the knots forming in his stomach. He tried not to let this show as he took off his hat and coat to hang up. 

     Teddy continued to follow Mrs. Crawley into her small sitting room. 

     "Please, sit down," Mrs. Crawley said as she did so herself. Teddy stared at her for a moment before slowly sinking into the seat behind himself. 

     "You're probably wondering why I've brought you here." Teddy nodded in full agreement to this. "Well, I was having a conversation with Dr. Clarkson when he mentioned you." 

     "Me, ma'am?" Teddy couldn't think of any reason that Dr. Clarkson would go around talking about him.

     "Yes. He told me that you have some medical knowledge that quite impressed him, for a boy your age." Teddy nodded a bit.

     "I do quite a bit of reading, is all."

     "Exactly." Mrs. Crawley replied, making Teddy even more curious than he'd been before. "I'm not sure if you know this, but my late husband was a doctor. And, when he passed, he left behind quite a few medical books, some of which we have multiple copies of. I'm not using them, so I thought that, perhaps, they could go to someone who will." 

     As Mrs. Crawley stood up and walked towards the stack of books on a table in the room, Teddy could feel the excitement bubbling up inside him. His stomach was no longer full of knots as Mrs. Crawley returned and held out the rather generous stack to him. 

     "Would you like them, Theodore?" Teddy grinned and nodded.

     "Oh, yes ma'am! I'd like them very much!" He took the books from her and looked up at her face. "Thank you!" Mrs. Crawley smiled at him, and, although it seemed strange, Teddy felt as though they'd just formed a sort of alliance. He knew that Mrs. Crawley was strong in her beliefs, his father used to tell him all sorts of tales of how she acted during dinners and luncheons; but if she believed in him enough to give him these books that had once been her husband's, then he knew she would stand up for him when his interest in the topic was questioned.

     "I'm glad you like them. Although I should tell you, there are quite a few notes written in it. Reginald liked to add his thoughts in the margin." 

     "I don't mind. These are incredible." Teddy said, as he was already inspecting the cover of the book on top of the pile, which he'd placed next to him on the settee. 

     "I'm glad they're going to a good home." 

     Teddy had attempted to leave not long after, not wanting to invade in Mrs. Crawley's home, however, she'd insisted that, instead of walking back to the Abbey with all of his books, he ride with her, as she was heading there for tea with the ladies. Despite his best efforts to refuse, Teddy found himself in the front seat of the car as it drove Mrs. Crawley to the Abbey, plie of books placed on his lap.

     At eleven-years-old, going on twelve, Teddy had never been in a moving car. He'd seen one, of course, and had watched Mr. Branson work on one before he'd married Lady Sybil, but he had never actually rode somewhere in a car. The idea of doing so was quite exciting and, as Teddy was driven to Downton, he found that he'd been right to think so.

     He'd climbed out of the car upon reaching the Abbey, quite surprising Alfred, who'd come to open the car door for Mrs. Crawley. Teddy just gave him a sheepish smile, thanked Mrs. Crawley once again for the books, and made his way around the building to his usual entrance.

     Walking into the room, arms feeling heavier with every moment he spent holding the stack, Teddy planned to show his new prize to his father. However, he found his father was having some sort of conversation with their new footman, Jimmy. In fact, he was so fixed on the man that he didn't even notice Teddy walk into the room. Watching for a moment, Teddy sighed and made his way up to his room instead. If he couldn't show them to his father, he might as well start reading them instead.