Life of Champions

Things were finally looking up for the Barrows. Thomas' health was improving, and Teddy was about to face off in the debate championships for the second time in two years. 

     With Carson silently fuming due to the championship causing Teddy to be unable to serve at dinner the next day, the topic of conversation in the servants' hall became the thing he would be arguing. 

      "What was your topic again?" Molesley asked, spreading butter on his bread as he looked across the table at Teddy.

      Another fuming person at the table was Arthur, who sat further down with a scowl on his face and the remnants of a bruise on his nose from being headbutted in their fight. Luckily, Teddy had taken less damage to visible areas and had healed faster. He guessed in that way he had won in the end.

     "Whether or not films are corrupting the youth. I'm on the negative side."

     "And do you agree with what you're arguing?" Daisy asked from where she stood in the kitchen doorway. Teddy nodded.

     "I do. People need a form of entertainment, and moving pictures are just the next form of it. We can't keep living like this is the mid-19th century, after all. In fact, the first film was made in the late 19th century, so they've been around longer than some people think."

      Teddy looked down at his plate to cut into his meat. He really shouldn't give away their entire debate.

     "Excuse me?" Carson's voice came from the head of the table. Teddy looked up at him.

      "Well, yes. The first film was from the late 19th century," he repeated, "1895, to be exact."

      "Did you refer to it as the late 19th century?" Carson asked. Glancing around, Teddy noticed some other people eying him, and a slight frown appeared on his face.

      "Yes? It's not incorrect-"

      "That makes it sound like it was decades ago!"

      "That's because it was," Teddy replied, doing his best not to be offensive.

     "Nobody who was alive during the 1800s should be referring to it as the '19th century'," Carson added, to which Teddy furrowed his brow. Cautiously, he worded his response.

     "But I wasn't alive during it, Mr. Carson. I was born in 1908."

     Carson stared at Theodore for a moment as if trying to wrap his head around that fact. Teddy was honestly confused as to why this was such a big deal. He hadn't been wrong in his wording, after all. Finally, Carson shook his head, muttering something about the youth and returning to his meal. Taking this opportunity, Theodore returned to his own food.

     Teddy was confident. They still had their conclusion, and the other team did not have a chance. At this point, most arguments they brought up had been easily countered; 'the moving pictures don't have sound,' but neither do books; 'theatre actors can lose their jobs,' they can go to act in films. The hardest one to counter was the accusation that films place stereotypes on groups of people, which Teddy honestly agreed with. Why did every villain have a moustache? However, Abigail stepped in with a response, stating that the use of stereotypes allowed viewers to grasp the character's role in the plot quickly and that they have been present in books and theatre as well. While she clearly agreed that stereotypes themselves were an issue, they were not unique to moving pictures.

     The debate had taken place in Downton this time, as the location was typically chosen between one of the two schools in the championship. Though Carson hadn't allowed Thomas to get away to see it this time, this meant that other friends, such as Percy, Eleanor, Katherine and Everett, had all come. 

     Teddy stood, walking to the podium with his papers in hand. He placed the down, scanned the crowd, then began to speak, giving the words that he and his debate team had worked on. 

     And, as he finished his words and returned to his seat, Teddy exchanged a glance with Abi, who smirked and winked at him. 

     "Hello, victorious one," Mrs. Wilson joked as Teddy approached her family, smiling at him. Teddy grinned, accepting the hug from her. Grace, who was held in Percy's arms, giggled and clapped her hands. Teddy smiled at her, gently taking her foot and shaking it in response. Grace just giggled more. 

     "Thank you all for coming," Teddy replied, smiling at the Wilsons. Abi had gone to speak to her mother and cousin Edward, her father at work. Though, now that he scanned the room, he didn't see her or Edward. Odd.

     "Of course, we came. I love watching you and Abi destroy these people," Percy said, smiling as he adjusted his hold on the babbling Grace. Though some of the sounds coming out of her mouth were words, she was not yet making coherent sentences.

      "Well, I look forward to watching you destroy me in the next Downton cricket match." 

     It was no surprise to Theodore that Percy had been recruited for the town team. He was surprised, however, that he had been asked to play for the house. He supposed that it was simply an attempt to fill the team. He knew he would not be the asset Grantham was hoping for. Perhaps he associated the name Barrow with cricket talent.

     "If it's alright, I would like to find Abi. The team is hoping to celebrate our victory together tonight, and I need to relay the message."

     "'course. See you around."

     And so, Teddy began his search, with brief stops to speak to Katherine, then to Eleanor.

      "Have you seen Abi?" He and Eleanor asked in unison. Teddy's shoulders dropped.

      "If you find her," he said, "let her know that the team is meeting at the Grantham Arms to celebrate if she'd like to join."

     "I will. And if you find her, tell her that I'm looking for her?"

     "Naturally."

      Teddy never ended up finding Abigail, so he left with Noah, Charlie, and Mr. Farrington to the Grantham Arms, hoping that the message would reach her.

      The group had already ordered food by the time Abi arrived, Eleanor at her side with a hand on her arm. 

     "Sorry, I'm late. Is it alright if Eleanor stays with us?"

      After a general consensus in the group, both girls sat, Eleanor whispering something to Abi. Abi quietly nodded in response, then turned to look at the group.

     Though, Teddy couldn't help but notice that Abi did not speak again for the rest of the night. She would smile and nod and pick at her food but nothing else. 

     He knew better than to ask about it with everyone else around.

     As Theodore walked back to Abbey, his mind was wandering. Eleanor and Abigail had left the Grantham Arms together, off to the Bennett residence. 

    It was as he passed the hospital, however, that another piece was added to the puzzle. 

     Edward Philips came walking out of it, a bandage over his face, coving his right eye. He looked at Theodore, scowling.

     "You stay the hell away from her."

     With that sentence, Edward left, leaving Teddy to frown and continue on his way home, wondering what had happened. And why on earth was Teddy being blamed for it?