Chapter 15

Airborne, flying toward Frankfurt, Germany

"How do you know my father?" Michael asked.

She stared out at the clouds flying by below the plane and took a deep breath.

"Shortly before your father passed, he actually found me," she started to explain, and continued, "He met with me and told me everything."

"I don't follow."

"All my life I have been involved in helping people. My last venture was helping people to get out of cults, especially Devil worshiping cults," she explained. "I wrote several books on the topic."

"My dad found you because of your books?" He jerked his head back.

"Yes."

"And that's why you know all about the Thirty-Six, I assume?"

"Yes."

The airplane wheels struggled to get a grip on the cold and damp runway.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and Willkommen in Frankfurt!" the pilot's voice echoed through the speakers.

"Let's check into the hotel, and tomorrow morning we'll go meet with the owner of the book," Amanda said as she took her bag from the overhead bin.

Michael's eyes were staring at the ceiling above his hotel bed. His eyes gazed at the digital radio beside his bed.

2:34 a.m.

A clicking sound coming from the door to his room shifted his attention away from the radio. His room was separated by a small hallway with the door.

Michael sat up and switched on the bedside lamp.

Baal stood at the end of the bed. He was dressed in black, wearing black leather gloves.

Michael grabbed the phone. Baal lunged for his ankles and pulled him of the bed toward him. Michael kicked and screamed for help.

Awoken from the screaming, Amanda staggered out of her room, seeing Michael's door wide open. She walked in, seeing Baal and Michael struggling. Baal noticed Amanda. He punched Michael one final time in the face and then pushed her to the floor, making a run for it.

"Everything okay?" Amanda said, both lying on the floor opposite to each other.

"Yes, I'm okay," he said and tapped his finger against his bloody lip.

"How do they know I was here?" Michael said squinting his eyes.

"They must be shadowing us."

Michael gathered himself and crawled to the telephone.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling the police."

"No. Better not. What do you want to tell them? I am being chased by Devil worshipers that need me to bring the Devil to earth? They will think you're crazy," Amanda said.

Michael stopped dialing. His eyes focused on the carpet floor.

"You're right. Let's get that book and end this madness."

The rain was pouring down on the people rushing to their offices. The gray skies made it hard to distinguish the exact time of day. Michael knew it was early because he was not an early riser and his head felt heavy.

Michael and Amanda walked down a busy street. Passing one skyscraper after another.

"This entire street was flattened during the allied air raids of World War II," Amanda said, "Except for this one."