15 March, 1980 - Warning

Start from the beginning

She had to suppress a shiver at that thought and forced herself to focus back on Remus. On anything other than the threat of Rowle's violence.

"There were two of them," Remus was now saying. "One of them was your brother.

Lavinia exhaled a bit sharply. She wasn't sure why that was relevant. She didn't need to know every time William did something for the Death Eaters. She didn't want to know. Really, she would much rather pretend her brother had nothing at all to do with this war. Especially given the decision she had just made. Or had made for her, anyway.

"He gave me a warning," Remus was now saying and Lavinia blinked, surprised and... and glad, she supposed. Glad that William still had it in him to help them. Help her. Which was what she was going to focus on, as opposed to the sinking sensation that accompanied the realization that these days, that was a surprise.

"He said..." Remus sighed and tipped his head at Lavinia. "He said he's sorry. And he misses you. And that Death Eaters are coming for you."

Lavinia closed her eyes as tears pricked at her eyes and took a deep breath through her nose, letting the calming smell of her tea ground her. William had said he missed her. Said he was sorry. Sorry for what? She supposed there were several things he might be sorry for, but she had never needed an apology from him. Never wanted one. But... I'm sorry too, Will. For so many things. She wondered then if he had ever wanted an apology from her. Not that it mattered. She was never going to get the chance to give one. Just like she was never going to get the chance to say she missed him too. Very much.

But as for his warning...

"He's a little late with that one," she sighed, blinking the tears from her eyes that she wasn't sure were entirely because of thoughts of William.

The reactions of the other two were instantaneous. Remus tensed and Sirius shot to his feet, looking her over like he was trying to see any evidence of it, trying to see if she was hurt. But for all that her skin still burned with something between shame and disgust, she knew there were no physical signs. Maybe some bruising on her knees from when he'd tossed her aside, but other than that... it was actually remarkable, she thought, that she'd been left so untouched.

"I'm fine," Lavinia assured Sirius now, though she supposed her tone wasn't terribly convincing. Probably because it was a complete and total lie. She was far from fine. But he didn't need to know that. Not until she had a plan. Not until this was fixed.

"What happened?" asked Remus cautiously and something about his tone made Lavinia turn away from Sirius to look at her friend more closely. He sounded... like he thought he already knew the answer to that. Which he couldn't possibly unless... Unless she'd been right and they had both been attacked for the same reason. Which, aside from the issue of the dedication of their pursuit should she fail to report, left the question of who else? Who else? Not, she reminded herself, that it mattered right now. That was a question for later. A question for Dumbledore to figure out. Not for her to deal with.

"They ambushed me in Diagon Alley," Lavinia said at last, all too aware of the tension in every bit of Sirius's body language, the look in his face that told her she was going to hear about the stupidity of not telling them she had errands to run. Which was fair, she knew. And she had most definitely learned her lesson. She was never setting foot in there again. Not until this war was good and over and both Rowle and Mulciber were firmly behind bars.

"I didn't even have the chance to fight back," she sighed, shaking her head. Sirius twitched, as though trying to decide whether or not to run to her now or let her finish first. She was grateful that he decided on letting her finish because she wasn't entirely sure she'd continue if she was interrupted.