51 - ties

Mary thought she had life figured out by age eighteen. She had already been the head cheerleader at her small towns local high school, and she intended to carry on doing the same in university. She had wonderful grades, aside from her rebellious stage in junior year, nearly all four years of high school. She had more friends than the entire population of Elgin, and she knew how to connect with people on much more than a surface level.

She had conquered everything she knew nearby, she had been on the top of the food chain her entire life. She was the beautiful tall blonde cheerleader from high school, only she thought much more of herself, considering she didn't quit after graduating. She stuck to her dream, and she prided herself in that.

Despite thinking she was all knowing and mighty, the girl had moments in her life which she thought the exact opposite. That sad stormy night, she was pent up in her room out of fear that the woman downstairs would become any less recognizable. She felt so lied to, so betrayed, she couldn't even face her own mother without the overwhelming urge to let it all out. Mary hated crying in front of people though, and she'd never let Kellianne know how heartbroken she really was. Mary has always been raised to appear much tougher than that.

Mary chose to be selective with the emotions she shared not because she wanted her mom to think she was mad at her, but because she didn't want her to know that she was just upset. And then, of course—the only other person who understood the weight of the secret her own mother had kept for so long—Valentine was already so far from her.

Mary let out little strangled sobs and hiccups as she tried to calm herself down.

The reigning generation of Elgin Texas were a tight knit group of young adults that had just barely scraped through high school together. To grow up in a small town like that, it means for strong bonds. Everyone had ties, some way or another.

For instance, Calum had talked to Mary years and years previously. He wanted her help on how to ask Adeline out on a date, something he did often. Now, Calum and Mary hadn't talked before then, but she still helped the poor boy work up the courage to reach out to the black haired girl. And thus formed a bond—or a tie, something Elgin was a well known for.

That specific bond must've been extra strong though, because Calum knew. He knew something was wrong, a strange gut feeling had been telling him so for nearly an hour. When he received the text that confirmed his suspicions, he almost felt relieved that the suspense was finally over.

Mary
You little mole. Did you know my mom is Val's mom?

Calum took a deep breath as he reread the message over and over. He didn't know how exactly he was supposed to fit in the truth unraveling, and he hadn't even meant to get tied up in it.

Calum
Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't think it was my place to get involved. I didn't know why or what the story was...

Mary
How the hell did you figure that out?

Calum
I get bored and look at things I don't know

While Mary smiled down at her phone—which was uncharacteristic for her, because she'd never smile at Calum's texts—she considered her current situation. She had every sense of reality taken away from her just like Valentine, and she was in a place of hurt. Sure, it wasn't the right time for for Mary to hint at the secret she had been keeping for years. But is there ever really a proper time to say that you've always had feelings for someone, but hid it on Adeline's behalf?

Mary
Do you wanna meet up somewhere?

Calum
Mary, I know you mean no harm but please try to understand how scary that sounds. I will not drive somewhere just to get in trouble