Relationships... they take efforts. •Part 2•

Start from the beginning

"Hello there. Do I interest you that much?" It was a cute golden retriever puppy who was standing on her back legs in her crater, looking at him with cute puppy eyes and barking constantly.

"Awwff! Awwff! Awwff! Awwff!"

Alec patted her head and smiled at her adorableness as she kept barking at him.

"Calm down little one!" Amanda said as she walked towards them. "I don't understand why she's barking so much. She's the calmest one here. Oh, boy! is she?"

"Awwff! Awwff!" The puppy jumped towards Alec as she started sniffing his wrist and torso and kept barking loudly.

"Oh god! Mum, what's she doin'? She never acts like this!" Livvy walked towards them as well as she looked at their calmest and quietest pup barking loudly.

Listening to their questions, Alec somewhere knew what's happening, so he looked at them for approval to pick her up.

"Go ahead!" Amanda smiled and nodded.

Alec picked up the cute barking puppy in his arms and started scratching her belly to calm her down. "Hush! Calm down! Cutie pie!"

"Awwwfff!"

The mother-daughter duo smiled at the cute interaction as Alec kept pampering the cute puppy.

"I still don't understand why she is barking so much!" Amanda said.

"I know the answer to it." Alec said and both women looked at him with confused looks. "It must be my hormones she smelled that alerted her."

"Son? What do you mean?" Amanda asked with a frown.

"Umm... I'm... I'm a Cancer survivor and... I'm.... currently fighting it's after effects, anxiety, depression, and PTSD." He had no idea why he admitted something like that to strangers, but with the small conversation he had with them, they felt like he knew them since forever.

Both women gasped at his confrontation. "Oh my god! You're so brave, son." She caressed his cheek and smiled warmly.

"Awwff! Awwff!" The little one barked when Alec's fingers stopped pampering her making him laugh.

"You like it, don't you!" He chuckled but suddenly frowned when blue glitter came out from her golden fur. His heart skipped a beat when he realised Magnus was wearing blue glitter today. So his husband does was here today, but why lie to him about it?

"Oh god! Give, I'll clean her." Livvy said and reached out for the little one but the puppy nuzzled into Alec's chest making her jaw drop.

Alec chuckled and kissed her head. "It's okay. Is there something she likes to play with? I want to spend more time with her."

"Oh, yeah. Her toys are in her crate."

Alec looked at the crate and picked up her toy but his eyes fell on the broken pink-colored ring kept beneath it and his eyes widened. It was the same pink coloured plastic he found on Magnus' collar that day. Now he was more confused than before, what was going on? Shaking the thoughts away, he picked up the tug of war rope, put the puppy down, and started oscillating it in front of her curious eyes.

"Aawwwfff!" The puppy jumped and started playing with him making him smile his brightest smile.

Both women exchanged a look and Amanda pursed her lips. "I'm sorry, Sir. I have to stop you there. You seem to get along with her... but... she's already taken, it's a special client else I would have made some amends. She'll get picked up tonight."

"Oh..." Alec whispered and his smile disappeared. He had no idea why he suddenly became sad, he was there to get his answers not to adopt a pup.

"Awwff! Awwff! Kkkmmmph.. kkkmmpphh... Awwff!" The puppy rested her head on his knee and started licking his wrist. He smiled and patted her head, he was amazed how easily she sensed that he was sad.