XVII. 𝑃𝑅𝑂𝑀

there is a time jump from the last chapter to here btw. i genuinely had no idea how else to go from that. also this is the second to last chapter of this book. we are going to end on a positive (yay) before new moon comes and fucks us all over.

•••

"𝐴𝐿𝐼𝐶𝐸. 𝑁𝑂."

"Come on Rose, I've already seen you in the dress and you look stunning."

"Not fair with the fortune telling but fine. Only if you promise this is the last I have to hear about it." The pixie-like girl jumped up from her spot and rushed to her closet. I rolled my eyes at her antics, secretly appreciating how much she cared. The girl held a black dress bag in her arms. She beamed at me as she used one hand to unzip it. She pulled a sparkling floor-length gown. It was the color of bubbling champagne and I was in awe. "Do you like?"

"Do I- Alice, oh my God. It's gorgeous." Her eyes twinkled as she held it out to me. "Do you really think I can pull this off?" She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Rosemary Eden Mulligan. I don't want to hear another self-depricating word come out of those beautiful lips." I held my hands up in surrender and she nodded in response, removing the gorgeous item from it's hanger and laying it on the bed. "Now- I am going to be right outside this door. I expect you to be fully dressed so I can review my work, alright?"

"Alright, mama." She rolled her eyes at me playfully and strolled out. I began to strip myself of my garments. I took the golden fabric in my arms and slipped myself into it, struggling to zip it myself. Jesus. "Alice!" She strode in with a victorious smile on her face and zipped me up, placing her hands on my shoulder as she did so.

"One last thing..maybe two.."

"Alice." I sent her a warning glare and she just giggled, running into her closet. She returned with a black bag in her hands. She passes it to me and I pulled out a box. She clapped her hands together, beckoning me to open it. I lifted the lid and carefully tossed away the chiffon paper.

"Holy shit, Alice."

"I know, I'm amazing." I let out a breathless laugh and  lifted a gorgeous champagne heel into my hand.

"Alice- this is too much." She shook her head adamantly and took the bag and box from my hands, tossing it and holding my warm hands in her cold ones.

"No. It's not. You're my sister, Rose! Besides, I needed someone to play dress-up with." I gave her a playful glare and rolled my eyes. She took a cool finger and wiped my face, giving me a worried look. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I didn't even realize I had been. I let out a chuckle and shook the tears away, giving her a wobbly smile.

"I-I'm just so happy. I- I love you so much, Alice. You are the sister I never had." She gave me a smile and wrapped her arms around me. I buried my face in her neck and held onto her.

"I love you too, Rosie. We all do." She pulled back and beamed at me. "How 'bout we finish getting you dressed, huh?"

_____

    Alice had been plucking and prodding my face for the last half hour. She had been tugging at my curls for a good fifteen before that before presumably giving up. She looked me over and gave a nod of approval before tossing the heels over to me. I carefully slipped them on my feet- I'd never walked in anything so expensive. Alice helped me to stand and walked me over to a full-length mirror in the corner of her room. "Well, how did I do?" I had never seen myself looking so- happy or healthy before. I was almost glowing- I was ethereal.