C l o s e r

"Ben? I ask gazing into his eyes.

He hums a reply back and I take that as a signal to continue.

"What happened between you and your uncle? I ask.

I know it's not my place to ask but I couldn't help but be curious. At least once a day I see Ben with a stressed face, and when I ask why, he always answers with "my uncle and I don't really see eye to eye."

This is the second time this week Ben's been down because of his uncle.

I can tell it's taking a toll on him.

"He just puts me under a lot of pressure. It's hard to live up to his impossible expectations." He says.

I could tell that there was more to the story but I don't push it.

I snuggle into his arms more and we sit in a comfortable silence.

"I hope it gets better with you two. I hate seeing you upset." I tell him in a low voice.

"Don't worry. Its March so in a couple of months, I'll graduate, and i'll be free to do whatever I want." he sighs.

A sinking feeling makes its way to my chest. I've been so caught up in the honeymoon phase that I completely forgot that he's graduating in a couple of months.

Ben looks down at me.

"What's wrong Frankie? He asks.

"It's nothing. I just really hope it gets better with you two. I mean why does he have so much authority over you anyway?"

Ben visibly tenses.

"When my mom passed, he was the one who really helped me and my dad out. He took us in when we moved here, he really took us under his wing. Then his wife, my aunt died. He left me and my dad practically homeless, and now that we're comfortable, he claims that we need to pay him back for all that he did for us." he explains.

"I think he has something over my dad. Cause there is no way my dad would let him treat us like this if he didn't."

I frown my eyebrows.

"What could he possibly have over your dad? I ask

Ben shrugs.

"Thats what I need to find out. It has to be something big if my dad is just letting him act however he pleases."

"Do you honestly think your uncle is going to tell you just like that? I ask him.

He shakes his head.

"Of course not, but either way I intend to find out."

I look up at him.

"When do you plan on doing all of this? I ask.

"As soon as I get home."

"I don't know if this is a good idea Ben." I warn him.

If this is as serious as Ben is making it out to be or even worse, then Ben confronting his uncle isn't the best idea.

"It probably isn't, but it's all I can do for now." He shrugs.

I sigh and lay back down with my head on his lap.

"Promise you'll be mature about it." I tell him.

He doesn't respond.

"Benjamin I'm serious." I sigh.

"Fine,fine. I promise."

"Thank you." I smile.
__________________________
•Ben's Pov

As I entered my house, I saw my dad on the couch watching the news.