¤| Chapter Eighteen |¤

Credit to: DogInATuxedo

There is a reason I had to put this fanart here ;) ;) ;)

Some stuff ;) happens ;) ;) ;)

But enough of me chatting, ;) it's story time.

××××××××××××××××××××

.: Mono's P.o.V. :.

They were silent after they were nearly caught by that monster and the doll children. By now, it was about to be sundown, and they have eaten some of the bread Twenty-Three got.

Speaking of Twenty-Three, she was silent the whole trek. Not the kind of silence because she had no idea what to talk about, but that kind of silence where something was going in her mind. Mono wanted to know, but he would probably just irritate her, taking how silent and serious she was thinking about it.

Ah whatever, Mono huffed silently while averting his gaze off of her, It's not like I have the right to know anyways.

But still, Mono fixated his gaze again to Twenty-Three, once again she was too deep in thought that she was nearly getting hit from a tree - and Mono pulled her away before she collided with the tree, again.

Twenty-Three finally snapped out her thoughts and turned to Mono, "Eh?"

"You were about to hit a tree," Mono said, "Again."

"O-oh, uhm thanks," Twenty-Three rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, Mono pursed his lips, "There's something in your mind right?"

Twenty-Three became stiff before her shoulder slumped. She took a deep breath and looked away, "It's nothing..."

Mono furrowed his eyebrows, honestly that was a big, big lie. She wasn't okay. Actually, ever since the first day of school she wasn't alright. It got him so fussed up and now he wasn't sure if he was still okay with it. And don't get me started about that nightmare.

"Are you sure? It's just nothing?" Mono asked. Twenty-Three forced a smile, it just made Mono wince internally. It wasn't bright, it wasn't happy at all, and it wasn't just... her.

"I'm sure," she said and held on Mono's hand holding her arm. Pushing herself away from his grip, she cleared her throat and looked over the foliage, "Oh look! There's something over there!" She said in a sudden enthusiastic tone and quickly walked away.

Mono sighed, one way or another, he'll know. Maybe not now, but perhaps soon. Just a few hours ago, it was awkward - now it was something else.

Feelings, they always get in the way.

He followed Twenty-Three and saw her trying to hop over a slope, emphasis on trying. The slope was a bit low for the abnormally tall people here. Mono rose an eyebrow, "Need some help there?"

Twenty-Three sighed while turning to him, "No, not at all," she sarcastically remarked.

"Oh okay then," Mono smirked while he gripped on some of the roots as a holding and hopped to the other side, Twenty-Three quipped, "I was just joking!" She said. Mono chuckled as he looked down at Twenty-Three, "Oh so you do need help?"

"Yeah. Can't a girl get her sarcasm once in a while?" Twenty-Three huffed and Mono rolled his eyes, "Yeah sure, hold on," he said while holding out his hand. Twenty-Three held his hand and he pulled her up, Mono took a step back and he didn't realize there was a twig behind him so he accidentally lost his footing. He stumbled, bringing Twenty-Three down with him.