Chapter 15

Hey guys. It's been awhile. 

................................

Madi's POV

I rush into the church with the other girls, eager to find whatever the "treasure" could be. 

"Read the book again," I beg Kylie.

She smiles, looks down, and reads the words aloud. "'Dear Friend, I have hidden the treasure in the church near the cross in the window. Look for the pew closest to that window. Go all the way to the left and find the box. You know where it will be hidden if you find the spot. 816 Eighth street N.W.'" Looking up at Emma and I she points at the large, circular stained glass window on one side of the building.  

Emma walks quickly over to the front row of pews and starts looking underneath them. I hear her mumble a few complaints about how dirty she was getting by crawling on the floor searching, before I join her. 

Kylie follows me, her dark brown hair swaying in one short, silky sheet behind her. She gets on her hands and knees and taps different parts of the benches, probably hoping that the treasure would just pop down. 

I take the left pew. I'm walking back and forth when I trip on something.  "Ow!" I cry out in pain, holding my foot. 

Kylie and Emma hurry over to help me up. Well, Kylie did anyways. 

Emma walked right past me. Kylie pulled on my arms so I was standing up, then rested me on the smooth wooden surface of the pew. Turning around, she gasped.

Since Kylie was standing right in front of me, I couldn't see around her. My foot was still throbbing and I didn't care to put my weight on it, so I just craned my neck in hope to catch a slight glimpse at whatever had demanded both Kylie and Emma's attention. 

Finally Kylie got down on her knees so I could see over her. The foot of the pew that I apparently tripped over had twisted to one side revealing a trap door in the floor. All I could see were the first few steps of a steep staircase leading down from the door. 

"I'm going down," Emma announces.

I gape at her. She was going to sacrifice her perfect curls and clean outfit for this "treasure"? That's dedication coming from her. 

"No!" Kylie yells as her friend took the first step down. "It could be dangerous!"

I chime in, "She's right Emma! You don't know what's down there!"

Emma's hazel-green eyes glare at me. "I am going to get this treasure!"

Kylie watches with fear written across her face as Emma disappears from our point of view. 

I prop myself up, slide off the bench, then limp over to the hole in the floor that Emma went down into. All I can see is a streak of red in the darkness, her auburn curls reflecting the small shed of light from above. 

Kylie helps me sit down on the floor next to the hole and she does the same. After a few minutes of anxiously waiting, we start playing Rock Paper Scissors. 

That's when a scream shatters my eardrums and the silence. 

...........................................

I'm having a stupid Disney Channel Movie marathon. I think I'm on #17 now.