Chapter 3

The sunlight filtered in through the hotel window. I raise myself into a sitting position and let out a yawn. I flip my auburn hair over my shoulder and gracefully slide out of bed.

Mom's already up, dressed, and whacking at the coffee pot trying to get it to work. "Dang machine," I hear her mutter repeatedly.

I tiredly shuffle over to her. Then I grab the cord that the coffee pot is hooked up to. The cord isn't plugged in. I raise one eyebrow at my mom, hand her the cord, and shuffle into the hotel bathroom.

It's so small in here. I barely have room to walk. I squeeze my way in to examine myself in the mirror. Ugh. My natural red curls were pressed against my skull in limp, lifeless waves. My eyes were slightly sunken in, and my lips were chapped. I look like something my cat, Louie, dragged in.

I walk out of the bathroom and dig in my bright red suitcase for my flat-iron, my cosmetic bag, and my brush. Collecting them all in my arms, I return to the bathroom.

I comb through my hair, and then repeatedly go through my auburn locks with the flat-iron in an attempt to straighten my mangly curls. After about twenty minutes of flat-ironing, my hair actually looks straight. I then apply eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, foundation, and a finishing touch of lipgloss. I pucker my lips and smack them together.

I go back to the suitcase and look from something cute to wear today. Kylie was always the fashionista of the two of us, so I always feel like I need to be extra stylish when I see her. I decide on a green blazer, a black tee, dark denim skinny jeans, and my black gladiator sandals.

I throw them on before Mom comes and hands me a meal replacement bar. "We missed the free breakfast so this is all I could scrounge up for you Emma," she says.

I wrinkle my nose up in distaste, but I still accept the breakfast bar.

I grab my purse as I take a small nibble out of my breakfast. Then Mom and I head out and take a taxi to Kylie's house.

I walk up and ring the doorbell. I see someone behind the glass windows walk up. Hearing a gasp of recognition, Kylie yanks open the door and screams, "Emma!"

"Kylie!" I respond as we embrace. I hold her back at arm's length to see her. The three years since seventh grade have been good to her. The last time I saw her, she was a bit on the chubby and short side, her hair was a bit stringy, and cosmetics were unheard of. She did have a great taste in clothes though.

Now she is at least two inches taller than me, her completely flat chest had blossomed, her dark brown hair is in a cute shoulder length cut, and her blue eyes are defined with eyeliner and mascara.

"You look great!" I exclaim.

She smiled shyly. "Thanks! You do too!"

I strike a supermodel pose. "Well of course dahling!"

Kylie giggles. "How are you Mrs. Bennett?" she asks politely to my mom.

Mom finally smiles. "Oh, I'm doing great. Thanks for asking Kylie! Where's your mom?"

"In the kitchen. She was just making a batch of her ah-mazing snickerdoodles in celebration of your arrival."

Mom's smile grows. "Oh, I love her cookies!"

I roll my hazel eyes at her. "Go have your little mom fest in there. I'll tell you when we are ready to go do all the touristy stuff. Shoo!" I say making little movements with my hands to signal her to leave.

My mom frowned at me but headed inside.

I turn back to Kylie and squeal.

She just smiles and leads me inside her house. "Come with me!"

I follow her down the hallway until we reach a room that must be her's.

I could say that I'm just really smart or magical to be able to tell that, but I'll be honest. She has a sign that says "Kylie Jefferson's Room" on the door.

"Check out what I've done with my room!" she beams.

I walk in, and I'm impressed. Her room had a cute Parisian theme. She always had wanted to go to Europe.

"Nice," I say as I twirl around the room, taking in the cream rugs, the light pink bedspread, the black iron furniture, the Eiffel tower lamp, Parisian posters, and the small chandelier suspended from the ceiling.

"I can't wait to show you around D.C.! Can you believe that we are turning 16 in just a few days!" Kylie exclaims.

I smile at her. "Me neither! I'm so excited for both! Are you ready to hit the streets of D.C.?"

"Always!" Kylie grins back. She picks up a wallet off her night stand and slides a pair of oversized sunglasses onto her face. "Ready?"

"That's all you are bringing?" I ask, suprised.

She looked confused, "Yeah... Why?"

I shrug. "No reason, I guess."

We walk into the kitchen, and ask for a ride. Our mom's smile and Mrs. Jefferson leads us to her car.

Kylie and I jump in.

"Welcome to D.C. Emma!" Mrs. Jefferson chirps from the front seat.

Kylie sings, "We are going to the city!"

"And the city will never be the same!" I finish.