Chapter 9

Jordan's POV:

Rip and I woke up around 8 and got ready to go to town and meet the people from the cemetery. We got in the truck and drove to town. When we got there he parked in the parking lot and sighed. I reached over and grabbed his hand. I rubbed my thumb back and forth while we waited for the people to show up.

Once they got here we got out and met with them. We walked over to the graves and saw the headstone. Rip immediately tensed up and got mad. I slid my arm between his arm and waist and wrapped it around his back. I rubbed his back and talked with the guy.

Jordan: so what happens next?
Director: well the ones who did this will have to replace them once they are caught. That's if we catch them.
Rip: If!?

I rubbed his back and he took a deep breathe.

Director: there's no cameras or anything here since it's so far out.
Rip: are you...
Jordan: why don't you go for a walk?

He sighed and walked off.

Jordan: so what if you don't catch them?
Director: then we have our hands tied basically.
Jordan: alright. How much to replace them?
Director: I don't do the pricing but I'd say about $20,000 for both of them.
Jordan: alright. Can you just email me the bill?
Director: yes.

I gave him my email and he left. I walked back over to Rip who was leaning against the truck.

Rip: what did he say?
Jordan: not much. Hands are tied without cameras.

He sighed and clenched his fists.

Jordan: hey. It'll be okay.

He kicked a rock and tree branch. I kinda jerked back and watched him.

Jordan: Rip.

He took a deep breathe and threw something.

Rip: 6 fuckin years. 6 damn years I saved up for those headstone for some fucking idiot to come and destroy them.

I walked over and wrapped my arms around him. He was still all huffy and super tense.

Jordan: it's gonna be okay baby.

He wrapped an arm around me and took a couple deep breathes. He started to breathe quickly and get upset. I let go of him and put my hands on his face.

Jordan: hey. Look at me.

He took a deep breathe and looked down at me.

Jordan: I promise you. It's going to be okay. We will get it taken care of.

He nodded and looked off.

Jordan: Rip. Don't make me climb you to make you look at me.

He kind of chuckled and looked at me.

Jordan: just breathe.
Rip: I just...
Jordan: I know it's infuriating. I'm pissed for you.

He rubbed his face and looked at the graves. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled myself up. He put an arm under my butt and held me.

Jordan: hey. Let's clean it up.
Rip: what?
Jordan: let's clean it up. We can put it in the bed of the truck.
Rip: no we don't
Jordan: babe. Come on.

I got down and grabbed his hand. I grabbed gloves out of the truck and walked over to the graves. I started picking up some small pieces and carried them to the truck. I tossed them in the truck bed. He started carrying some over and throwing them in the bed. After awhile I could hear him start to get worked up. He was bent over trying to pick a piece of the marble up. I walked over and put my hand on his shoulder. He looked down at the ground and tried to keep it together.