Chapter Fifteen: The Flash Drive | Part 2

Comincia dall'inizio

"Not the fifteenth. The roof," Matthew corrected, although he didn't answer his question after that.

It actually wasn't unreasonable to tell him, as they were already gone from the presence of the other refugees. There was no way that Gregory could spread the news to them and cause pandemonium anymore. However, Matthew decided it would still be more straightforward for Gregory to see it for himself.

In a few moments, the elevator doors slid open. The four walked out of the elevator, with Gregory moving out of it last. He assumed the detectives would have been more familiar with the area than him, although they were as new to the place as he was.

Matthew noticed a door in front of him. He looked more closely and realised it was the door to the stairway leading to the roof. He pointed to it, directing the group so that they knew where they were heading to.

He grasped the doorknob and turned it before pushing the door open. Immediately, he could hear helicopter noises. It wasn't on the helipad, as the noises were a little too faint. However, he knew that it was approaching.

It felt great finally to get out of the hellhole of a hospital.

Matthew gestured to the group to follow behind him as he began trudging up the metal stairway. After much climbing, he reached the top of the stairway. He covered his eyes with his hand, shielding himself from the blinding lights of the approaching helicopter. His hair was blown all over, but he didn't mind it. He just focused on the thought of rescue.

Daniel, Megan, and Gregory then stepped out of the stairway one by one. Their reactions to the helicopter were similar too—their eyes were irritated by the light, and their hair was flying upwards, but they didn't mind it, as long as they were being rescued.

Very soon, the helicopter descended onto the helipad smoothly, and the blades began to turn more slowly as the aircraft halted to a stop. The door of the helicopter slipped open to reveal a familiar face.

"Mr. Palmer!" Daniel waved enthusiastically, happy to see him doing well.

Mr. Palmer's reaction was very different from Daniel's, however. The neutral look displayed on his face didn't turn into a positive one. Daniel expected to see Mr. Palmer beaming, but he wasn't. Instead, his cheeks sagged, and his eyebags fell.

"I'm sorry," he said out loud.

Instead of Mr. Palmer, someone else stepped out of the helicopter. He wore a black cloak, which attached to it was a black hoodie. His entire pants were black, and so were his shoes. Everything that covered his body was black. As the figure stepped forward and approached the group, he pulled down his hoodie.

Her hoodie.

"Oh, dear God!" Megan cried out as soon as she recognised the figure's face. "Run!"

The four turned around and ran back to the roof stairway without hesitating. They dashed as fast as they could and avoided walking in a straight line in case the figure had a firearm.

And as expected, the woman brought up a gun, ready to shoot. As such, she did. Bullets were fired everywhere, swivelling through the air rapidly. They were all just inches apart, so it was nearly impossible to dodge them. Fortunately for them, they all missed and shaved past them.

Until the group reached the stairway.

Gregory suddenly cried out in pain as he tumbled onto the stairway. The rest of the group rushed over and helped him up. Luckily, the bullet didn't hit any of his vital organs and went below his left shoulder.

Just as they were heading down the stairway, bullet holes began forming as bullets passed through the thin metal door. Hence, the group picked up their pace and went down the stairway briskly but carefully.