Consequences

MADDI'S POV

Heartbreak. And it was all on my own part. I'd never felt so bittersweet before. The thought of leaving Adam had terrified me to death, but in the end, I knew it would be best. I've been a patient at Augustine for three weeks now. The first week, I was a wreck. I never would have considered staying if it wasn't for Sunni and Winter.

Three weeks earlier...

I awoke with a silent scream, my eyelids popping open faster than I could ever imagine. My heart skipped several beats as I looked around. Plain, white walls stared back at me with a solemn nod. Beside me, two neat, perfectly made beds were empty.

Confusion overwhelmed me. Why had they let me sleep in? I slipped out of bed, not bothering to try and make it neat like the other girls had. There were no mirrors around, so there was no way of telling what I looked like. I decided to slip on a fresh pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. Running a hand through my hair, I could feel tangles wrapping around my fingers. My nose immediatly scrunched up, and I had to hold the tears from coming. I hated not being able to fix my appearance. This place was utter torture already.

My shoes had been taken away and replaces with rubber flip flops, at least four sizes too big for me. My tiny feet slid easily inside them, and I had to waddle down the fall in order to keep from falling. 

A line of girls, including my two roommates, led up to a clear glass window on one of the walls. I watched, amazed as each took a concotion of pills with a glass of water, and went about their business. There was no way I wanted to end up like that.

A nurse smiled at me,"I thought i'd let you sleep in since you had a late night. Breakfast starts in five minutes. Somebody will bring you there and sit with you. Try to enjoy the food."

My heart skipped a beat. Breakfast? What? I hadn't eaten breakfast in how long? I didn't ever eat full meals. I only ate when I had to, a little throughout the day. I tried to calm myself down, and remembered that I could always get rid of it after.

I found myself in the cafeteria a few moments later, with eggs, vegetables, fruit, and worst of all, bacon, being shoved into my face. I tried to be polite and put an apple and a bit of eggs on my plate, but I refused everything else. Two nurses watched me, then immediatly began whispering to each other.

One walked up to me, a stern looking brunette with glasses. She held no smile, or really, any sort of emotion.

"Put more onto your plate." Her voice was just as crisp and cold as her appearance.

I trembled, "No...this is enough...thank you." I forced a smile.

"I'm going to sit with you." She said after a minute of thinking.

She sat me down at a lone table and slipped into the chair across from me. I was already anxious enough about the food, but now my throat refused to swallow anything. She growled, and I forked down another bite of eggs, tears now rolling down my face. I looked up, only to see her roll her eyes at me. I shovled the food into my mouth, just wanting to get away from her.

When my plate was finally empty, she allowed to me to get up. I quickly sat up, accidentaly spilling my juice all over myself in the process. I whimpered and stared down at myself, completely soaked.

"Go to the restroom," She snorted, then under her breath, "freak."

I ran out of the hall, feeling dizzy and paranoid. One of my roommates was right outside, the one with the bright eyes and dazzling smile.

"Hey! Where are you going?"

I stopped on my heel, "Uh, bathrooms. Which is where, actually?" I asked dumbly, realizing I didn't even know I was going there.