Life's Too Short

Shawn's POV

It was the day of Mrs. Parker's surgery and the morning of, Camila made me pray with her at the edge of her bed.

I was never really a religious person. I believed that there was someone higher above but I never went to church or prayed at night but Camila explained that she prayed every single day and I admired that.

Upon arrival to the hospital, I was assured that everything was confirmed with Mrs. Parker and that she was ready to go after signing all of the documents. Camila and Archie were in there with her, both holding her hands as they awaited their time for her to go under.

I watched as Camila held onto Archie and Annabelle's hands as they agreed to do a prayer. Camila turned to me, "will you let us pray over you and your intern?"

I lifted my head up, flashing a smile before Dr. Steinfeld and I made our way over to the hospital bed as we all held hands and said one last prayer consisting of us praying over Annabelle for good health and a successful surgery and that Hailee and I are given the strength to do our very best.

Oddly enough, I felt quite empowered afterwards.

"Okay, we're going to go scrub in, we'll see you up there, Annabelle."

Before leaving, Camila had stopped me.

"Do your best...okay?" She fixed the collar of my white coat, "I will." I reassured her and she brought my body closer to hers, squeezing me tightly as I did the same.

"Promise that you'll keep Archie and I updated?"

"It's not a long surgery, of course." I assured her before kissing her temple and walking down the halls with Hailee.

I tried my best to shake off the recurring thoughts of what could possibly go wrong in the three hours that we're in that OR. Not only will I as a surgeon feel terrible but Camila and Archie would be crushed and I knew that so would I. I wanted to put my best foot forward and do my best, as Camila had said.

While scrubbing, I sing the song "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran and I knew that once I have fully sung the song in my head, I was done scrubbing.

By the time I was done, Annabelle was already ready for us and I smiled at her, warmly.

"You got this, Annabelle." I whispered before they put the mask on her, my sister being ready to put her to sleep. "You do your very best, Dr.Mendes...I believe in you." She winked before she began to count down from ten on Dr. Mendes' (Aaliyah's) count.

"Okay, lets do this." Shawn breathed out through his surgical mask, readying himself to do what was bound to be done.

Camila's POV

Archie and I sat together in the waiting room. We were both very confident in Shawn's work that we were certain that Annabelle would be okay and we knew that she was put into good hands.

I leaned my head on his shoulder, he was like a second father to me, especially when I couldn't be around my parents so often.

"Remember when Damon and you were seven years old and you guys pretended that you were superheroes and you'd play in the rain after we'd asked you not to?" Archie chuckled and I joined him, recalling our mischievous days.

I nodded, "remember accidentally running over my bike and then getting me a new one?" I teased, punching at his arm.

He squinted his eyes, "don't even mention that day." He warned, a hint of playfulness in his voice.