This Is Back On Track

Chrom's POV.

What did she want me to do?

I saw the fierce resentment all over her features, I heard the harsh torture pouring from her mouth, but I knew her too well. Her lashing out was out of confliction and worry, her mind could not wrap around the possibilities that I had laid out in front of her.

Long ago, when I was just a boy, I had come to a conclusion about myself. I knew who I was meant to be, and what I truly was. I knew I was meant to be a leader, albeit my faults said otherwise - way too trusting, naive, young and awkward, but I had drawn the end product of who I would be. I would be fearless, wise and a man worthy to rule a country when the time came. I would be loved, and respected, but never unapproachable.

When I had first met the fiery beauty in front of me, I was still that boy, still wet behind the ears. Never had engaged in a real war before, never fully understanding the pain my ancestors had gone through. I had fallen in love with the way she effortlessly controlled the tides, how she changed them to our advantage, how she gave me the hope and ability to become that man I strived to be.

The years since then, she hadn't changed. Not a single bit.

But I had.

I was a man now, and I had said exactly what was on my mind, what I really wanted. She was a woman, she was from the start and now I was ready to love someone like herself.

Though, as the output of her inwardly conflicted emotions stream out all too quickly, I could take note of what damage a man can do to a woman. As she called out the past, of the insecurities she had felt, of all of the reasons why she was unsuitable.

All  I wished for in this moment was her to realize her worth, and I had snuck my arm around her, gently placing my hand over her mouth.

When she pushed me away, I could not hide the shock on my face and did the last thing I knew possible to try and win her. Whispering sacred words, there were no truer words spoken than the honest confession of my never halting love..

She tore out of there so quickly, I feared for her wound, and wished to follow her but my feelings betrayed my physical wants as I let out a loud curse.

What was wrong with me?

There was no denying that she had those deep connections to me as well, she had all but said the words. But.. She was so cautious, the trust between us aided not one bit, for her it was broken- evident in the way she refused me so angrily.

What was I doing wrong?

Were her concerns true, maybe this was never meant to happen?

No, I instantly rebuke myself, no, the way I feel about her, the hope I felt when Sumia granted me freedom last night by restating our need for separation while moving out of our tent.. Both were enough to banish any doubts.

Any hardships I may face, I will gladly take head on. This was the future that my daughter fights so hard to prevent, but I will make fate mine and take all the happiness from it I can.

Maelys's POV

The rain continued it's slow and steady fall. Shouts of the plan to march out in 30 minutes brought me out of my misery long enough to realize my tent still needed to be cleared out and that I needed to find hands that were not busy to assist in carrying the boxes.