The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"That's called public indecency, Vandel."

"Well I for one certainly wouldn't be opposed."

I glanced to him now.

Vandel quirked an eyebrow. "What?"

"Do you mind looking away while I change?"

Vandel let out a loud snort of laughter. "You raw my ass all night and are still embarrassed to be naked in front of me?"

My face flushed. "Not all of us can walk around with our...with our manhood hanging out and not be embarrassed about it..."

Vandel practically wheezed. "YOU DID NOT JUST CALL YOUR DICK YOUR MANHOOD!"

"I was talking subjectively about...about any kind of manho...err...male genitalia...not just mine-"

Vandel looked like he was laughing so hard he might start crying. "Fine, fine," he choked between laughs. "I'll cover my eyes to protect my poor little Ridley's modesty." Vandel laced his fingers together, placing them over his eyes.

With my cheeks still burning I slipped off the bed, awkwardly pulling my clothes back on. As I finally fumbled with the last button, I nervously glanced at Vandel. "Okay, you can look again."

"Well thank you so much for the permission, my kind lord knight!" Vandel said with a laugh, his dark lashes fluttering as his eyes slowly opened.

"Hey, Vandel..." I said abruptly. "I just wanted to say...uh...thank you...for being here..."

Vandel playfully shot me a quizzical glance. "What...in my room...?"

"No uh..." I sheepishly looked down at my feet. "For being here...for me. You always have been. Every time I've needed you, you've been at my side. I don't know what I would have done last night without you-" before I could finish my sentence Vandel grabbed me by the collar, pulling me to him for a final kiss.

"Well, isn't this cute."

My blood ran ice cold.

Vandel had gone completely still in horror beside me.

Slowly we both turned to see who we knew was already standing there. Panic and anxiety overtook my gut and I could feel that Vandel was starting to tremble at my side.

I took a deep breath. I had to stay calm. I couldn't fear her. She had played mind game after mind game and the more afraid I was of her the more power I gave her.

"Hello, Victoria," I said blankly.

"Ridley," she replied, giving me a cold look. I had never seen the demon queen like this. While before she was so calm and calculated, there was something different now, a cold seething anger. That actually made me feel a little better. Anger, in its own way, was a weakness. It made the demon queen feel less untouchable and just a little more human.

"Look at you, Vandel," Victoria observed icily. "I'd be proud of you for seducing a human if it weren't for the fact that you've genuinely developed feelings for this human brat."

Vandel prickled slightly beside me.

I glared at her, eyes narrowing. "Victoria, what's even the point? You've played your games and you've lost. If you want to imprison me, fine. But Vandel's still your son. Shouldn't his happiness mean more to you-"

"For Vandel to be happy he needs to be powerful," Victoria snapped. "And to be powerful he can't have weaknesses. You are going to hurt him. So yes, my son's happiness does mean a great deal to me."

I could feel my blood starting to boil, burning from beneath my skin. "You speak of hurting him yet you were the one who locked him up for weeks on end."

Vandel was watching, eyes wide, clearly too petrified of his mother's wrath to speak.

"It was for his own good," Victoria growled. "He was playing against his own interests. Imagine the power and jurisdiction he would have had as king of the humans. It's all gone now because of you."

"But would any of that really have made him happy?" I met her gaze, unflinchingly. "Victoria, I promise I would never hurt your son. I love him more than anything else in the world."

The demon queen scoffed. "You say that, but you don't know what kind of person Vandel really is. Once you inevitably find out, you'll leave him and it's going to destroy him."

"I'm not going to fall for your mind games, Victoria," I shot back. "Nothing will ever change how I feel about your son."

"Really," Victoria said coldly. "You really mean that?"

I nodded, more sure of my answer than anything. "Of course."

"Then did you know he was the one who killed your father?"