The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"Vandel, of course I meant it." I leaned forward, gently brushing a few strands of dark hair behind his ear. I took his hands up in mine, planting a light kiss to his palms. "I've loved you during every stupid situation we've gotten ourselves into, through every moment you've shown how kind and brave you are...I don't think I even realized it was love until now because I didn't know there was such a simple word to describe how intensely I felt about you. When we're apart I always feel like I'm suffocating...it's only when I'm with you that I can actually breathe."

Vandel's face had gone completely pink now, the flush rising all the way to his ears.

"Wow, I didn't know you were one for saying such mushy shit..." Vandel mumbled.

"Is it still mushy even if it's true?"

"Hmm, I'll have to think on that," Vandel said, grinning at me. "Doesn't make it any less lame though." With that he pressed a gentle kiss to my lips before suddenly snuggling up against me. He felt so warm and small against my chest and I wrapped an arm around him, pulling him closer.

"What comes next for us?" I asked.

"Let's not think about it," Vandel murmured, his voice muffled against my chest. "It seems like we keep learning that the future is incredibly complicated and almost always entirely out of our control." He smiled softly. I could feel the curve of his mouth brush against the bare skin of my chest. "Still...it seems fate has a way of bringing us back together over and over again. That makes me think..." he pressed a light kiss to my chest, then one to my neck. Finally, he tilted his head up, placing one final kiss to my lips. "No matter what happens or what our future holds, you and I will always have a way of finding our way back to each other."

"Good," I said softly. "Because I can't imagine going back to a life without you in it."

Vandel rolled his eyes, giving me another playful shove. "STOP SAYING MUSHY LAME-ASS SHIT LIKE THAT, DUMMY!" Despite his words his cheeks were completely flushed.

"As if you didn't say something equally lame and mushy first."

"Yeah, but mine was more abstract. Yours was just plain mush. Besides, you said something mushy before I said something mushy before you said something mushy again. That means, as of now, the score is 2:1— leaving you still leading the board in utter mushyness."

"Gods, you're impossible. You know that, right?"

"That should be my line."

"Says the one who's been a 200 year old virgin this entire t-"

Vandel chucked a pillow at me, striking me in the face as I started to laugh.

"That was a low blow, you bastard." He was grinning, despite his words. "Fucking hell fire, out of all the people in the world why did I have to fall for this fucking asswipe?"

"Touché." I sighed now, pulling Vandel tightly to me once more.

"Hey, dickbag, I'm not your teddy bear!"

"I know," I murmured against his ear. "I just want to be here with you a few more moments before I have to leave."

Right now, Vandel was my only safety from the cold reality of last night's events. I wanted to cling to it as long as I could. We simply stayed there for a moment. I could feel the gentle rise and fall of Vandel's chest against mine and the heat radiating from his little body.

Finally, as much as I hated to do so, I sat up, pulling the blankets up with me to cover myself. "I should probably get dressed."

Vandel smirked, propping himself up with his elbows. "Are you sure? I don't think anyone would mind if you showed back up in Alteria fully displaying those washboard abs."