6. The fight in the diner

"Sometimes you need to be your own hero"

---

Flashback start...

17 years ago...

"Nietzsche once said 'Man is as a rope stretched between the animal and the superhuman. A rope over an abyss. It is a dangerous crossing, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous trembling and halting'" Reginald read from his book. He was standing on a top of the staircase with his notebook. Vanya was standing next to him, she had a clipboard in one hand, a stopwatch in the other and a whistle around her neck.

The eight other kids were all standing at the button of the staircase. They were all wearing the same shirt. It was a green tracksuit with white trainers.

This was a race up the stairs and none of the kids wanted to be the last.

Reginald closed the book and Vanya blow the whistle making all the kids to start running up the stairs.

"As much as you must strive for individual greatness, and strive you must, for it won't come to you of its own accord...you must also remember that there is no individual stronger than the collective" Reginald said as the kids ran up the stairs.

Diego and Luther took the lead, behind them was Five and Maddie with Freddy behind them.

Then Five grabbed Maddie's hand before he blinked in front of Diego and Luther "That's not fair, Five's cheating!" Diego said.

Maddie created a small energy blast before throwing it at Luther and Diego causing them to stumble back. "Maddie is cheating too" Luther said "The dynamic duo are cheating" Diego said. Then Freddy shifted into a bird and flew up in front of Luther and Diego before he shifted back to human and ran after Maddie and Five "And now Freddy" Luther said "They adapted" Reginald said as Maddie and Five looked at each other with a smile.

---

"The ties that bind you together, make you stronger than you are alone" Reginald said.

Maddie was sitting in a chair which was a temporary tattoo parlor. The tattoo machine buzzed and the needle was piercing into her skin causing Maddie to squirmed in the seat as she could feel the needle.