Chapter 19

Stefan's P.O.V.

She smiles at me as I lend her my hand, watching Elena slip her hand into mine, when I open the sliding door to the deck that's decorated with pink and red rose petals on the wooden floor, a bottle of champagne chilling in an ice chest on the side of the table and candles in the middle of the green table cloth, our dinners covered by a silver lid.

I turn towards, Elena grinning almost as she does the same and whispers softly. "Thank you." Before stepping outside and turning towards me with a bashful smile.

I pull the chair out for her, taking her jacket and handing it to one of the guys who's standing nearby, a smile on his face too as he takes her jacket and places it on a coat hanger inside of the yacht.

"Do you do this for all the girls?" Elena asks, her hands nervously clasped in front of her as I smile, shaking my head. "No, only the ones that I really like."

"Aha. So, what's for dinner?" Elena asks, her eyes shining as I nod at her. Watching as she carefully lifts up the lid to her plate and laughs. "Pot au feu, beef stew with vegetables? Man, just when I was hoping for junk food!" She says in a joking manner as I laugh. I can't help it, when she smiles..I smile too...When she laughs, I do the same. It's like a chain reaction.

"It's good. I promise and the dessert will be good too!" I tell her, smirking at her as she lifts up her fork and locks her eyes on me. "Oh, I bet it will." Elena comments, taking a bite of the food and closing her eyes, almost as if she's savoring the moment.

XXXX

We talk, laugh and joke with each other for what feels like hours, asking random questions all the while. However, I guess the time isn't on our side when I feel the yacht get closer to shore and the captain announces that we're ready to dock. I watch as Elena nods and frowns a bit all at the same time.

"Wow, just when I thought that the night wasn't over...that you and I would find out more dirty secrets about each other. Like, why that girlfriend of yours left you..And, I was hoping I could tell you more about my ex..Matt. We're back to where we started." Elena tells me, sadness in her brown eyes as she wipes her mouth with a napkin and places it on the table, right next to her empty glass of champagne.

"Well, she left because I told her too...Rebekah and I were all wrong for each other. I guess that's why I've spent years trying to fill that void that she created...I miss her. But, we're better off as friends." I tell Elena in an honest tone, watching when she leans over to me, grabbing my hand into hers and smiles softly when she speaks. "You won't be sad forever, Stefan. Trust me, no one ever is...when they find something they can't live without."

XXXX

Elena's P.O.V.

We leave before the waiter can clear our plates. My words to Stefan are playing on a loop as he helps me off the yacht, both of his hands firmly around my waist. His eyes staring directly into mine as he speaks into the cool air that surrounds us.

"I'm glad that we did this, you know..away from everything...Just the two of us. It's fun." He says sweetly, placing his hands around my waist and embracing me, not saying a word as he holds me against his chest and I lean into him, pulling back a bit to look him over. He's got this content look in his eyes, he's relaxed and enjoying this, probably as much as I am. Probably hoping that this night between us, this normal night of two people who enjoy each other's company will never end.

"So, Mr. rich guy...What else do you have up your sleeve?" I ask him, watching as Stefan smiles, grabbing my hand into his and turning towards me. "Well, I was hoping that we could catch another carriage ride together and then, well...you'll see." He tells me with a wink as he pulls me against him, his arm over my shoulder while we walk together.