Movement—a soft crushing sound—as if many feet tread across forest litter. The thing's voice had softened a degree and now possessed curiosity. "Does she know?"

"No. She won't like it—"

"Whether the Witch likes it or not, doesn't concern me, Yezekael," it snarled.

I tucked the name away. Yezekael...strangely familiar and yet not. A lesser creature perhaps?

"Skold agreed to cast your spell," Yezekael bit out harshly.

Shock smashed through my veins and punched the air from my lungs. Skold, one of Jurgana's sisters. The thing had already found a witch through this Yezekael. When had they met to arrange this between them? Six months ago perhaps?

Yezekael continued to speak. "She's curious about the gift, eager to possess it for herself."

"Good," murmured the thing. "At least I'll be sure that she'll be there when I need her to be."

A chill slithered down my spine. Just what had the thing offered Skold in exchange for the spell to be performed? Maybe it was something Yezekael had sourced for it. Because it hadn't been me. I'd been busy gathering the items the witch needed to cast the spell.

There came a hollow sound—clack-clack—like bone on bone or talon on talon. "I've done my part. Now give me what I'm due."

An annoyed hiss. "As soon as I get what I need," said that thing inside my aunt.

"A bargain was struck," the other bit out. "You agreed upon the deal."

"When I'm free from this body, Yezekael, you'll get everything I promised."

Yezekael snapped its teeth. "You'd better—"

"I will."

A low rasping growl, and footsteps squelching through wet leaves and moss. Yezekael moved closer to where I hid. A rusty, bitter laugh, more at itself than the thing. "Make sure you have everything the witch needs. Skold will be there when the forerunners of Cernesse blaze across the sky."

Silence.

A pause, long and lengthy and uncomfortable, that had the hair rising on the back of my neck.

Suddenly, a rustle of feathers as if wings were lifted then snapped wide. "Someone is here," Yezekael whispered in that strange, gritty voice.

It hissed.

I jolted, every muscle locking rigid with fear.

And almost shrieked in fright when a deafening boom carved a hollow inside my ears. Whatever creature Yezekael was took to the air, and the boom of wings brushed against my memory like a distant echo of thunder. The same drumming beat pounded the air, the same tempo I'd heard before. I was sure I had heard it, but when?

Yezekael flew over the forest. The sound of beating wings faded as it soared far away. And then a sound that was my aunt and yet not my aunt, a twining of voices that blended, and then one dissolved into the other. Human. Female.

Not words, I realized, but a strangled sound as if Aunt Ellena was choking on absolute terror.

I gathered my shredded wits, rose swiftly, and shoved my way through the dense bushes. Their prickly leaves and spindly branches tore at my hair, and I ducked my head to protect my face as I blundered through and found myself stumbling into a small clearing. I swiped the loose hair from my eyes, blinking, and saw my aunt standing alone beneath a Hawthorn tree, naked, looking like a sacrifice with its thorny branches spread wide above her.