Chapter Ten

Both of their heads snapped in my direction once they heard how loud I gasped. "Are you okay?" Emily asked with a slight laugh as she realized I was most likely fine. I quickly composed myself enough to simply smile and nod my head as a yes. The other voice I'd heard, just happened to belong to none other than Calum Hood, aka, the guy whose police report I'd just finished reading.

Calum, the practical stranger and possible kidnapper, repeatedly glanced back and forth between me and Emily, probably waiting for Emily to introduce us. Almost as if on cue, Emily also noticed Calum waiting for the introduction. "Oh, I'm sorry - I probably seem rude. Calum, this is Maddi, my best friend and roommate. Maddi, this is Calum, the guy from the diner."

Calum leaned forward from the mattress and held his hand out for a handshake. I did feel guilty for being so rude, but I refrained from even engaging in such a small physical interaction with him. For all I know, he could've actually kidnapped that girl and buried her under a pile of leaves or something.

He noticed I wasn't going to shake his hand, and he leaned back into his original position of causally lying down as he propped himself up on his elbow. Emily's brows knitted towards each other in confusion, seeing as I was always polite around guests, but especially ones that I'd just met. "Maddi, can I see you in the kitchen for a minute?" Emily asked as she rose from her spot on the bed and walked towards the door.

Once we reached the kitchen, she lifted herself onto the counter as I leaned against the refrigerator. "Why are you being all weird?" Her voice was laced with confusion due to the previous encounter with Calum. "I'm always weird," I nonchalantly joked. But apparently, Emily was still too dumbfounded to be in a joking mood.

She tilted her head to the side as she awaited my actual answer. "I'll have to tell you later, it's too much to unpack right now."

"You're making it sound like he's some kind of murderer or something," Emily finally joked. Except, now it was my turn to be unable to laugh. She noticed my serious expression as her face paled and lost all expression. "What?" She half yelled. I held my finger up to my lips to tell her to be quiet. "Are you saying there's a murderer in the apartment right now?" This time, she really did try to be quiet, but shock seemed to set in too quickly to allow her voice to be hushed.

"Emily please just be quiet," I said in a low voice, trying to get her to lower her voice so he wouldn't hear us. Unfortunately, it was far too late for hushed voices and quiet conspiracies. "So, who's a murderer?" Emily and I both jumped at the ever so nonchalant voice with a sly hint of sardonicism.

We turned around to find Calum casually leaning against the wall beside the counter where Emily sat. She quickly jumped off the countertop and subtly backed up against the drawer that held our knives, just in case something went drastically horrible. "Um," Emily started as she cleared her throat. She was about to continue speaking, until there was a knock at the door, serving as the ironic interruption.

"Sounds like there's company. Should I go get the door?" Calum asked in a menacing tone as he mockingly smiled. "No," Emily and I both yelled in sync. Neither of us really knew who was at the door, but on the chance that Calum could go absolutely insane, we didn't want to put anyone else in danger. "Why not?" He began. "Don't you think they'd also like to know about the murderer in the apartment?"

Emily and I both harshly gulped in fear as we glanced back and forth between each other. There was a second knock on the door, which provoked Calum to saunter towards the living room. He peered through the peephole as he kept his hand around the doorknob. He sarcastically awed in response before glancing at me and saying, "I'm sorry, what was your name again?"

"Maddi," I quietly said, just loud enough for him to hear. He held his hand up to his heart as he replied, "well, your boyfriend is outside. He must be waiting for you to answer the door. How adorable." He motioned for me to come towards him so I could answer the door. I pondered my options, but quickly realized they were very limited. I approached the door where Calum still stood.