"Zaynie," Louis singsonged as his seven-year-old son made his in to the kitchen. "Have you brushed your teeth?"

The Paylinson's had just returned home from their trip to the pool and since it was late at night, they were all getting read to go to bed. 

In response, Zayn scoffed and rolled his eyes. "What do you think?"

Louis stared at the younger boy in disbelief for a few seconds. "Jeez, I was just ask-"

"Zayn, is that any way to talk to your father?" Liam queried. He had just entered the kitchen and was honestly baffled by the scene set upon him.  

Again, Zayn rudely rolled his eyes and scoffed. 

As the little boy was trying to stomp away, Liam grabbed him by his wrists and pulled him back, so that he was standing right in front of him. 

"Hey," Liam began, titling his son's chin upwards so that he was looking at him dead in the eye. "I don't know whats gotten in to you lately. You've been acting up and just being completely disrespectful and it needs to stop right now, understood?"

Regardless of what his father had just said, Zayn wriggled free from his hold and began to stomp off only to have a strong hand pull him back. Soon after, that same strong hand had landed several smacks on his already hurting backside. 

Spinning him around so that he was face to face with the child, Liam began his lecture. "I have had it up to here with your naughtiness and so has everyone else! Now, you either shape up or keep on acting like this and head off to bed." 

Zayn wasn't having it. Instead of apologizing to both his father's for behaving so awfully these past few days, Zayn looked his Daddy dead in the eye and yelled. "I hate you! No!" 

Louis butted in, "Zayn you don't mean that." He reprimanded sweetly. 

Liam stood dazed for a second or two before gaining his conscious. He then grabbed the boy by his shoulder, somewhat aggressively dragged him out of the kitchen, in to the hallway and yelled. "Get to your room this instant!" 

And with that, Zayn screamed before stomping off to his bedroom. 

.

"Mommy?" Zayn stuttered, confused out of his mind. "Is that you?" 

"Zayn!" Zayn's mother squealed as she ran up to her child and locked him in her scrawny arms. "Oh, Zayn how I've missed you!" She started peppering fast and sloppy kisses all over his face. 

The young boy tried to open his mouth but before he could do so, he was pulled in to an awkward embrace by a weak and clumsy hand. Zayn was shocked to see the face staring back at him. 

It was his father. 

"Daddy?" Zayn asked. 

"We always knew you'd come back, Zayn." His father spoke. Zayn was shocked not to pick up the hefty and intoxicating smell of alcohol in his breath. The young boy even sniffed around a couple of times just to make sure.

"Promise me you'll never leave us again?" Zayn's mother asked, her bottom lip trembling slightly. 

And just like that, everything comes crashing down. Zayn is brought back to reality by a sharp slap to his face followed by his mother's bitter voice. 

"How dare you?" His mother screamed dead in his face. "How dare you leave us after everything we've done for you?"

Zayn could feel the first bitter, cold tear trickling down his face. He rubbed at the spot where his mother had stricken him and was shocked to see that his mother's dangerously long nails had scratched right through his face. He pulled his hand back and looked at the dark crimson blood on his hand.