Chapter 7

"I AM IMPRESSED," LADY ALICIA Kirkpatrick observed as she raised her brown brow upon her inspection of the fair when they arrived.

The countryside was beautifully decorated with wooden tables and chairs, and the trees and lining hedges and bushes had been adorned with red ribbons—a job rather clumsily done that it merely added to the charm of the festivities. There were multiple small colorful tents lining the countryside, each sporting one activity to engage in or the other.

Fairground rides had been arranged in the distance too, towering beside the hills as children rushed to make queues for them. Some people preferred to seat themselves on the grass upon a sheet with their children as they enjoyed the show put up by the mime and the clown, just near the fairground rides.

Different stalls had been set up, there was a ribbon stall with all kinds and colors of ribbons, and there was also a drinks stall where all kinds of fruit drinks were being served. Diana spotted a stall for stuffed children's toys, the receiving of which was decided only upon the successful completion of a challenge.

The children of the family—Francis, Judith, Michael, Theodore, Mary Ann, Henrietta and Miles—had their eyes fixed quite on something else entirely. They squealed in delight as they gazed upon the enormous Ferris wheel. It was too, adorned with ribbons and seemed to go up into the sky. The sun gleaming overhead was mighty with its light, and merciful with its heat, as the soft cool breezes highlighting the air created a blissful balance.

The fair had, as usual, a quite considerable turnout. It seemed as though it had promised to play host to almost all of Southampton and Lady Diana Beaumont and Lady Alicia Kirkpatrick had been the very last ones to finally arrive with their family.

After a series of pleas, the desperate children of the family were granted the much sought out permission, to mount the Ferris wheel.

"Adam, dear, watch over the children, don't let them out of your sight," Lady Seymour instructed her the eldest son, who narrowed his eyes a little at his uncalled for duty but shrugged nonchalantly and took Judith and Michael by their hands and began to walk with the children towards the Ferris wheel.

Quite an ardous task it was, to stand beside every ride shielding the sun from your eyes as you watched your cousins squeal overhead in delight, only to repeat the process over again. Diana hoped for Adam's sake it wpuld come to that.

"Ah, there you are girls," A sing song voice came and Diana and Alicia were instantly met with the charming Madame Carpe, her dress flowing about her and the multiple feathers in her bonnet swaying to and fro amongst the wrath of the winds as she approached.

"How beautiful the designs look on you both, you don't mind expressing where you got them done from to the gentry, now would you? I would absolutely love and appreciate a bit of a crowd at the dress emporium when this whole ordeal is over. I find these fairs too tedious for my liking."

Diana smiled. "Of course Madame Carpe, rest assured, every compliment I recieve shall be led back to you."

"Gratitude," The madame beamed, her way of expression always unorthodox in a very charming way.

"Oh and I see your family is here too," She continued as she noticed the women come up behind the ladies, "How do you do Lady Beaumont, Lady Kirkpatrick, Lady Seymour and Lady Charlotte?"

Lady Ruth Beaumont exchanged glances with her sisters and kept her lips sealed, giving the most as a mere nod to the French Madame who had just addressed them. Then, she continued on walking, her sisters following quickly behind. Lady Charlotte Allan stayed behind, rolling her eyes a little at her elder sisters' behavior. They had always been quite quick to bear contempt for anything they found even the slightest bit disagreeable, and that contempt was then set in stone.