Chapter 19

"MIGHT YOU BE FREQUENT riders, ladies?" Lord Algernon inquired with an easy grin, as he stood facing the ladies with Lord Buxton standing next to him.

Diana and Alicia glanced at each other, "No, we are not," Alicia responded calmly. She wondered where he would go with this, what he would say next in his attempt to make them laugh. Not that she was going to; there wasn't possibly anything these gentlemen could do to elicit a smile, let alone a laugh, from them. Frank Templemore stood at the opposite corner of the room, talking to his mother and exchanging occasional words with Mrs Fleming, but his eyes were on the ladies. He wanted to catch them laughing and then inquire about the joke that had got to them later. He wanted to make sure Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon, being as stiff as they were, got through with their punishment instead of backing out, after all, his plan would only work if everyone was better acquainted.

"Well then you can't imagine how Edward's first time was," Isaac Algernon chuckled, "He used to ride his horse rather less well than another horse would."

Edward Buxton scoffed at his friend's audacity to use him for amusement. Diana observed him, he really did act like the world revolved around him.

"I'm sorry gentlemen," she spoke up, mustering up her indifference to them politely, "Pray, excuse me, I should take Theodore to bed."

Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon's eyes snapped to her, they looked shocked, at the idea of losing a bet to another gentleman, or at the idea that they weren't as appealing to women as they thought for one to denounce herself from their company so quickly, Diana could not tell.

They both exchanged knowing glances and Diana noticed a hint of encouragement in Lord Algernon's after Lord Buxton sighed and looked at her, "Lady Beaumont, I shall like to have a word with you in private. I think it is long overdue."

Diana's heart beat quickened, but she maintained her composure, "I'm sure it can wait," she turned to Theodore as she fixed his shirt and decided if she was going to pick him up herself, for he was tiny, or if she should call for a maid.

"No it can't—" Edward Buxton blurted out, before composing himself after meeting the shocked glances of the ladies in front of him and his friend standing next to him, "I will keep it short, but it must be said."

"Very well then," Diana encouraged as she sighed, she might as well hear what he has to say if she was to face him for the remainder of this weekend.

Lord Edward Buxton pursed his lips as his eyes darted towards Alicia and then back at Diana again.

"Surely what you have to say can be said with my cousin present," She pointed out, her eyes narrowed, "Besides; I refuse to be seen in a private audience with you."

Lord Buxton flinched slightly at the bold dismissal of his private company, but nodded his head slowly, "I only want to apologize for the way I acted that day, for the undignified conversation I put forth. I ardently beg for your forgiveness and implore you not to judge me too harshly and make an enemy of me."

His words were rushed, as though he had them piled on his tongue, rehearsed them over and over again and just wanted desperately for them to be spoken as quickly as possible.

"I take it that this inconvenient arrangement we have suddenly found ourselves in together for this weekend, has a lot to do with your apology," Diana spoke calmly, a hint of amusement in her tone, "I presume, you hadn't thought of yourself ever having to say these words otherwise."

She noticed his appearance tighten as he shifted in his spot and locked his fists, tighter than they were before, behind his back. His face, however, showed near to none annoyance as he maintained his stoic expression.