Chapter 23

DINNER WAS INDEED A BOISTEROUS event, and as everyone exchanged conversations on varying topic amongst themselves, a certain new guest at Brockenhurst decidedly took conversational matters into his own hands.

"I suppose Portsmouth is not where you come from, my lady," Mr William Percy deduced carefully as he examined the lady sitting opposite to him on the dining table, occasionally fussing over her little cousin who sat by her side. She was alluring and definite in every way, and Percy noticed this glow on her, a glow that ladies in these parts hardly possessed. In her dark maroon dress, cream gloved hands and her raven hair done up elegantly, Mr William Percy could not help but think of an exquisite glass of elder wine. Elder wine was the most desired wine in his business, and this lady seemed perfectly equivalent to that. It was on rare occasions he'd ever compare a lady to wine, mostly because almost every lady he'd met before was far less worthy, but this particular one made it seem that even elder wine would appear dull in comparison.

The lady looked up to him and put on a smile. "You suppose correct," Diana responded, dropping her gaze to her plate as she lifted a small bite of the roasted potatoes to her mouth. Having thought about it, she had figured that making conversation with this new gentleman was an assured way to get to know more about him, and that way she could successfully find the odds in her favor, or Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon's favor.

"Then where might you be from?" The gentleman inquired further, his tone anything but interrogating. Mr Percy had always prided himself in getting anything out of almost anyone. He had collectedly casual tone when asking a question, which seemingly gained his company's trust without much effort, especially when the company in question were ladies. His skills lay in conversation, a category where most gentlemen fail miserably at, "From heaven perhaps?" he added the last part with a sly grin on his face as he played with his tongue inside his mouth, his gaze fixed on Diana.

Diana let out a single laugh as she tilted her head and her eyes shot up at him with taunt playing in them, "I may be."

William Percy smiled, ah, so she is intoxicating as elder wine as well, he thought. During this brief duration of acquaintance, he had successfully unraveled the details of her character. She was definite and knew her own mind, and all he had to do was to win her favor if he was to secure Frank Templemore's investment, because he'd rather anything than let his competition win. The Templemore heir was young and as inexperienced as could be, surely if William Percy had the man's family on his side, the money would soon follow.

Diana put a blueberry in her mouth, her eyes following Mr William Percy's movements carefully, so this Mr William Percy was an incorrigible flirt as well, perhaps more so from his demeanor than his words. His manner was very flirty yet his words used in the prospect, plain. Lady Diana Beaumont held back a sarcastic scoff; even cousin Oscar Seymour had better words at his disposal than that.

"I knew it," Mr Percy responded, swallowing a spoonful of beef, his knowing expression changed to a teasing one as he bent his head forward and his irises floated upwards to his eyelids, "Knowing I belong there as well, I'd recognize a heaven's angel anywhere."

Diana could not stop the loud giggle that bubbled from her at his predicament and she quickly covered her lips with her gloved hand. She'd never before been part of a flirtatious conversation that being one sided, went both ways. "You are a different kind of flirt, aren't you Mr Percy?" she solicited, her lips curved into a taunting smile as she removed her hand to tend to Theodore, who in his attempt to reach for a spoon was about to knock off a crystal glass.

"I may be," he responded, raising his brow and smiling at her. Looking at him, Diana observed his countenance. He was charming, any lady would be easily swayed by him, but for some reason he didn't seem to make her feel even a one third of things Lord Buxton's mere smile could do to her. She tried to think why that was, why could a lady not pick whom she'd want to give her heart to? Why was it suddenly reserved for someone else, without her even realizing till later? It wasn't that if she could pick, she'd choose Mr William Percy, it was just that if she really could pick, it would be someone entirely different from both of these men.