Chapter 28

"MR WILLIAM PERCY IS NOT IN his rooms, my lord. A footman reported that he has left the estate," The butler pronounced after being summoned and questioned about the gentleman's whereabouts by the lady of the house in the drawing room.

"That's strange; I did not give him leave. Neither did he inform me of his sudden urgency," Frank Templemore spoke, his brows furrowing as he glanced at Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon, both of whom wore slight puzzled expressions reflecting his own.

"I can't say I'm disappointed," The Countess sighed before putting a bright smile on her face, "A wine businessman did make for an awkward weekend party."

Lord Buxton let out an amused smile as he lowered his gaze to peer into the glass of wine he held in his hands, shaking the glass nonchalantly and exchanging glances with Lord Algernon.

"Still, mother," Frank pointed, "He should've at least informed me. Mr Percy was invited here, and with invitation was he only to leave."

"Surely you aren't offended by the machinations of a wine maker, Frank," His mother laughed, before composing herself and sighing, "Men like that are hardly inoffensive."

The remaining party sat in the west drawing room of the Brockenhurst estate that Sunday evening, the extravagant room alit with candles, casting a deep orange sheen on everything below and around them. The floral tapestries adorning the walls and the crystal decors on mantels and intricate tables around the room, with a glasses in hands, made it seem as though the party sat for a painting; the easel and the painter nowhere in sight.

"Mrs Fleming, did you happen to see Diana, perchance? I haven't seen her since she went out for her ride," The Countess probed as she turned to look at the lady seated across to her on the sofas, cradling her third baby on her lap, "Is she indisposed?"

"I can't say, Lady Templemore," Mrs Fleming lilted, her expression going into a thoughtful one, "I haven't seen Alicia since too, the girls do inform me if they retire to their rooms."

"That's strange," The Countess cast her son a glance and he shrugged in response, then turning to face the butler again, she spoke, "Send a maid upstairs to fetch my niece and Lady Kirkpatrick to the drawing room. They need plenty of fresh conversation and company to occupy them if they are to fully recover."

The butler nodded and with a bow, spun on his heels and exited the drawing room efficiently.

"Lady Templemore," Arthur Fleming's voice followed soon after the butler's exit as he cleared his throat to get the attention of the party, "I can't thank you enough for this weekend. It has done much good for my Frederica's health to be in such company as that of yourself and your son, and my boys are overjoyed."

"Ah, nonsense," The Countess mused as she shrugged playfully, "I had more fun than either of them, I dare say. I rarely ever use the word, Mr Fleming, for it far too vulgar for a lady of my disposition, but all in all, I couldn't have asked for a better company. Your family is welcome to Brockenhurst anytime in the future. I understand that our acquaintance was brought together because of my niece, but now that we are friends, I would love to see more of the Fleming family in the future when I'm in Portsmouth again."

"For sure," Arthur Fleming rejoiced, humbled. He always had little words to say when he was humbled, his only hope was that the person in front of him was an expert in reading minds and acknowledge what he was trying to say without him going through the trouble of self expression.

"I am also delighted that this weekend has brought you on closer grounds with your employers as well," The Countess continued, nodding towards Lord Buxton in particular, "Which wasn't exactly what I had planned, but plans seem to have a way of shocking one entirely, don't they?" she finished, chuckling.