Chapter 18

AFTER DINNER, FRANK TEMPLEMORE entered the drawing room ahead of all the other men, and all the ladies followed, with of course, two little boys at their side.

"Diana, it's been years since I've heard you play," Frank called suddenly, his loud voice instantly catching Diana's attention as she broke away from the conversation she was indulged in with Alicia and The Countess, "Won't you play for us?" he asked hopefully, motioning towards the golden intricate pianoforte, sitting in the corner of the room in all its glory.

"Yes, my dear, nothing would please me more," The Countess agreed, touching her niece's shoulder and encouraging her.

Diana nodded; it had been two years since she'd played in Frank's company, but it had definitely been months since she'd played the forte herself. The last time she had played was at Bellevue Hall in Southampton, that day before the ball at Mansfield where she had met..

Her gaze suddenly flickered to Lord Buxton, who stood just next to Frank, and their eyes met. Instantly freezing, she broke away and offered Frank another obliging nod, before making her way to the forte. It felt frightening suddenly, to see a person's countenance change so much just over the course of a few months. It felt as though the man she had danced with at her Aunt's ball was just one of Lord Buxton's many personalities.

Forcing herself to stop thinking about him, she focused her attention on Frank as he took her hand and helped her seat herself at the piano. Preparing her fingers as she pressed a few keys, as she waited for Frank to offer to turn the pages of the music sheets for her, as any gentlemen ought to.

But much to Diana's dismay, her cousin had other plans. "Lord Buxton, won't you offer your assistance with the music sheet?" He chided and she froze in her spot. Frank really did go out of his way to do things people would not expect of him.

Frank beamed a smile as Lord Buxton muttered an approval, before making his way towards them. He could tell, from his cousin's slight drop of her shoulders, that she had expected him to offer his own assistance. Frank hated to disappoint her in any way, but this weekend was about him. He needed to incite his mother's, as well as Diana's interest in the business venture he was to go forth with, so that she could see how truly capable he had become. Then she would see him as a mature man, and perhaps then he could receive a different answer..

His plan for the weekend was solely to get his business partners better acquainted with his mother and Diana, and as of the moment, Frank had begun doing just that. With a nod to Lord Buxton, he retreated to the audience.

Diana stiffened, making sure her composure remain as unbreakable as possible. She despised that, for her, music was about letting go. There was an unspoken rhythm between her fingers and the keys, they seemed to always work together in harmony and her mind would drift off to places unknown. She would close her eyes and feel the notes she played, letting them lift her off the ground. Diana hated the interference this man would cause, despised the assistance he was to offer her by turning the pages; for it was far more inconvenience than she'd encounter if she turned the pages herself. Why am I letting him affect me so? She thought, silently scolding herself. No, she firmly spoke inside her head, she play her favorite composition, and enjoy it too, despite the disagreeable gentleman turning her pages.

Lord Buxton cleared his throat slightly, so as to urge her out of her thoughts and let him know of the composition she would be performing. Diana ignored him, and without turning to acknowledge his presence, she took a deep breath and let go of some troubles for the time being and started to play. She didn't need Lord Buxton to help her, Diana knew her favorite composition by heart, having performed it countless times back home. The keys felt like silk as her fingers glided on them, the glorious sound of Beethoven's Fur Elise drifting around her, engulfing her in its serene harmony. Closing her eyes, she couldn't help but giggle slightly as she remembered her mother's voice begging her to play something else whenever Diana would perform the piece at home, as Lady Beaumont, as well as the rest of her sisters, found Fur Elise too tragic.