The Cell

The sun hadn't fully risen in the sky yet when Josie slipped from under Lizzie's grasp. She carefully untangled herself from the warm embrace and tiptoed her way to the door.

Her night had been restless, a spiral of overthinking and worry. Her thoughts were still a jumbled mess, but one thing rang true through it all:

She needed to see Hope.

Her trip to her dad's office was short and she didn't waste any time knocking. She pushed the door open to find her dad and Rebekah on opposite sides of his desk. Josie got the unnerving feeling she walked into an argument.

Alaric loomed over piles of books, his eyes heavy with dark circles. Judging by his disheveled hair and untrimmed beard, Josie guessed he didn't go to sleep after leaving her room. Rebekah, on the other hand, had taken a chunk off the desk and was brushing the splinters on her hands.

Josie faltered for only a second before she remembered her mission. She stalked to her dad's desk and let her voice boom from the depths of her throat, "Where's Hope?"

Alaric blinked a few times, taken aback by the fierceness in his otherwise reserved daughter. He side-glanced at Rebekah, who crossed her arms over her chest. He sighed, apparently exhausted, "Somewhere she won't hurt anyone."

"Hurt-- Are you serious?" Josie yelled, disbelief written across her face, "Hope's never wanted to hurt anyone. Everything she ever does is to protect this school!"

Never before had Josie felt an urge so strong to scream. If her mind was a mess before, now it was on crisis as she tried to understand her dad's logic.

Alaric ran a hand over his face, "I will not hear any of it, Josie," He deadpanned, "We've given her enough warnings. My top priority is keeping my students safe, and Hope has proven to be out of control."

"I can get through to her! Just let me talk to her, please!" Josie cried, she turned to Rebekah, hoping she would take her side. But the vampire held a solemn look on her face.

"It pains me, believe me, but my niece needs to learn her lesson."

Josie shook her head before returning her fiery eyes on her dad. She circled the desk until she stood right under his large frame.

"This is wrong and you know it," She hissed.

"She stays put," Alaric glowered darkly at Josie, "And you stay away from her."

Josie hit her fists against her dad's chest. He didn't move.

His indifference made her bristle, reaching into anything to gauge a reaction from him, "History does repeat itself. Last time you pulled something like this, Mom had to call Vardemus to replace you."

Alaric took a deep breath, "She. Stays. Put."

Josie shoved him one more time with a grunt. She wanted to protest, but in that moment Freya and Kol entered the room. If Hope was in the confined, it meant her family agreed with her dad's decision. She wouldn't win the argument. Reluctantly, she stomped out of the office, making sure to slam the door on her way out.

It was still too early in the morning, breakfast was still being prepared, so Josie took the opportunity to sneak into the basement while all the Mikaelsons were busy. If her dad thought a simple warning would keep her away from Hope, he was severely mistaken. The moment he refused to give away her location, he lost the game. He couldn't bring himself to say it because deep down he knew it was inhumane.

Saying it would make it real-- Hope was in the transition cells.

Josie descended down the stone steps with speed. Even though her parents had remodeled the basement to be a more comfortable place where werewolves could transition, it still held the same dark and moldy atmosphere of every other dungeon. Small streams lined the sides of the narrow hallway, carrying away water to the creek. The trickle masked her steps as she searched every cell for Hope.