The Morning After

When Josie was about nine years old she learned what it meant to be overlooked.

During those times her mom had begun the quest around the world to find a solution to the Merge. Although back then Josie thought she was searching for supernaturals to recruit. Meanwhile, her father divided his attention between a growing boarding school and an emotionally-unstable daughter. It left Josie with very little attention and care.

She could've mixed with the wrong crowd. Or gone missing for days. Or started a revolution. And no one would've noticed.

She was inconsequential.

Except one of those bleak days the sun decided to shine brighter. She remembered walking with Lizzie to the kitchen and listening to her retelling of a crazy dream when they saw their parents standing outside the common room.

Josie was rooted to the spot, believing her eyes were playing tricks on her because she hadn't seen her mom in months.

But there she was, her arms wide open to receive her daughters. And her father, finally looking at her with unswerving attention.

That was the last respite they'd have for a long time. Even today Josie still looked for the same peace and fulfillment she felt then.

Though flushing her body against Hope's came in close.

Sunlight filtered through the open window, the smell of rain lingering on the wet grass outside.

Josie laid on Hope's chest, their legs a tangled mess of limbs and sheets. She stared deep into the crystal blue eyes above her, adoring the carefree glint in them. This was probably the first time Josie had ever seen it in Hope. There was no cynicism, her body melted into the mattress and not ready to spring into action. She simply... beamed at Josie.

"I love your eyes," Hope said, her smoky voice sending chills down Josie's exposed back.

"You're the one with blue eyes. Mine are your average brown." Josie retorted, unable to keep the blush from coloring her face.

Hope chuckled, caressing Josie's cheek, "It's not about the color, but what you hold in them," She said, "You have a gift for always being able to look on the bright side of things. I don't think you've noticed, but you carry happiness in your gaze. You can convince anyone they're loved."

Josie placed a sweet kiss on the corner of Hope's mouth, taken aback by her words.

"I didn't know Hope Mikaelson was a romantic," She teased, sending a mischievous look.

Hope rolled her eyes, "Only for you."

If it was up to Josie, she would stay in that bed with Hope all day. However, it was daylight outside already and she had class.

Her expression soured at the prospect of leaving the warm bubble they had created. She sighed as she peeled herself away from the tribrid.

"Hey, where are you going?" Hope said, clinging on to Josie's wrist, her eyes wide like a child being left alone.

"I have class, Hope," Josie whined, squeezing Hope's hand on hers.

Hope pouted, pulling Josie back down onto the bed, "You go to class every day. Stay with me."

Josie couldn't help but laugh, "Not everyone has the benefit of skipping class because they're being trained." She said, "Which reminds me, aren't you supposed to be with my dad right now?"

Hope nuzzled into Josie's neck, her voice muffled, "I'll skip if you stay. We can go out to town."

It would be a lie if Josie said she wasn't tempted. Hell, that was all she wanted, but she didn't know how many periods she had already lost and Lizzie would flip if she disappeared.