Just a Dream

Hope pulled away as Landon stepped into the clearing. He was panting hard, like he had been running for a while. His face lit with relief when he spotted her.

"There you are, you had me worr--" The words choke in his mouth as Josie leans over Hope's shoulder, trying to get a glimpse of who had walked in. He hadn't noticed her at all, losing his train thought, "Josie... I guess you were fine after all." His lips twitch in what should have been a charming smile but it came out as a grimace.

Hope tucks a lock of hair behind her ear, glancing at Josie over her shoulder for a moment. Her heart is still pounding against her chest, warming her neck and face. She shifts on her feet before strutting forward, past Landon.

She wants to run away, but she knows that would only make her look even more suspicious, so she settles for a brisk pace. She can feel Josie's eyes on her, and she had to muster every ounce of will she had to not round back and kiss her pouty lips. Landon scrambles to catch up with her, his steps falling heavily on the ground and crunching leaves.

"I wanted to come looking for you but, you know... Dr. Saltzman asked me to get the truck and I couldn't say no."

Landon keeps rambling about the body and why he didn't come sooner, but Hope shuts his voice out.

She wanted to crawl into a hole and disappear.

How could I have let myself do that?

She kissed Josie. Josie. She was a pillar for Hope, one of the few that were keeping her life from crumbling. And now, Hope may have lost her, all because her hormones couldn't just let them part with a simple thank you. The worst part is she'd do it again. And again and again, until she couldn't breathe, until everything that was Josie was burned into her skin. She longed for her touch, always so gentle and warm to graze her face. Her pouty lips that tasted as sweet as her personality.

But how could she dream this? Was it right for Hope to want Josie this way? She was the tribrid -- the only one of her kind, powerful, dangerous. Now that she had a taste of Josie her whole body craved the witch's presence, and it terrified her the thought of losing it.

But that's what happened to people she loved -- they got hurt, they died. It would be selfish to put Josie in such danger. She could never hurt Josie, and Hope was a magnet for trouble.

She is reeled back from her thoughts by Landon brushing his hand against hers. Hope looks back, realizing the pond is well out of sight. Guilt tugs at her stomach, she left Josie alone.

"Hope..." She looks at Landon, the tilt of his brow gave him an almost ridiculously worried look, "I know you asked me to give you space but... I miss you."

Hope comes to a halt. The guilty sense in her stomach deepening, because through all of this mayhem, Landon had rarely popped in her mind. A long time ago she questioned if their relationship was meant to be because she would always choose someone over him. She never regretted her decisions, never once doubted she was doing the right thing. Hope wanted to cut Landon loose, he deserved someone who returned his feelings. Because she could not even accept her own feelings for Josie.

"Landon," Laughs and music hit Hope's ears, they are close to town. Then, her mind catches up, The car. Aunt Rebekah is going to kill me, "I have to go."

She uses her vampire speed to dash to the parking lot. She yelps as she crashes with the side of a truck. With fresh human blood in her system, her powers acted like they were on steroids. She shakes her head and jogs towards the black convertible.

Hope pulls out of the parking, speeding down the road as fast as she dares. This took way too long, I'm not going to make it. The original plan was to return with the swarm of students so she could open the garage without her family noticing anything suspicious, but the parking lot was mostly empty, even Kaleb's car was gone. The window of opportunity had closed.

She weighs her options: I could try to open the garage manually, considering Dr. Saltzman didn't already rat me out. Or I could hide the car outside and pray nobody uses it tomorrow, then put it back. Her plans kept getting worse, Or, worst case scenario, I tell the truth.

Every plan landed her grounded for eternity, and she had to laugh at her idiocy. The only comfort she could find was the rumble of the motor. She remembered riding the car with her father when she was younger. He loved posh cars, A pleasure in an otherwise dull world, he would say. Her thoughts wandered to those memories, a part of her mind she kept under lock and key.

Hope pulled into the Salvatore driveway, where, unsurprisingly, Rebekah waited with her arms crossed over her chest. She killed the motor and sunk into the seat. It didn't matter how much she loved her aunt Rebekah, a pissed Rebekah was terrifying to even the bravest man. She took a minute to collect her thoughts before stepping out of the car.

Hope stopped at the bottom of the stairs, where she looked up at her aunt standing on the porch. The poor lighting exaggerated her already sharp features, giving her the appearance of an evil mistress. She scrutinizes Hope under her blue eyes. She wants to play the role of bad cop, but Hope knows she is actually checking for injuries or any sign of trauma.

Finally, Rebekah breaks the silence, "You disobeyed my orders."

Hope flinches at the iciness of her tone, schooling her features as to not show weakness, "I had my reasons."

"I don't doubt it. I just wonder if they were the right ones."

Annoyance rises in Hope's chest before she can tamper it, "Maybe if you didn't treat me like a child I would have bothered to let you know."

"Stop acting like one, then." Rebekah doesn't seem bothered by her response, if anything, it looks like she expected it. It only makes Hope's insides churn.

"Let me hunt down the Necromancer and I'll show you how mature I am."

Rebekah laughs as if Hope had just told the joke of the century. The tribrid's anger flares.

"You don't care about him, do you?"

"The world has seen worse than a psychotic witch with black magic. Did you hear about the Minneapolis protests? Now that is serious."

Hope grits her teeth, the vein in her forehead throbbing, "Why can't you understand? He can see my father, he can control the dead! He can keep him from finding peace and he is dead in the first place because of me." She clenches her hands, frustrated, trying to make her aunt understand, "I have to put an end to this. I have to kill the Necromancer."

Rebekah's stance loosens, "Hope, killing is not the answer. I'm here to help you through this and as a thousand-year-old vampire, I can assure you that killing will not bring your father peace. You'll regret it, you'll carry it with you. These things pile up quickly when you have eternity."

Hope opened her mouth, whatever retort she had in tow died as she catches Dr. Saltzman's jeep pulling into the driveway. Her eyes widen when she spots Josie getting out of the car.

Two choices, Mikaelson: Cut aunt Rebekah and face her simmering fury later, or stay and face Josie.

Hope swallows her pride and decides to take a defeat.

She climbs the stairs in a hurry, shoving the car keys to Rebekah's chest and making her way inside. She hears her aunt's grumbles and promises to ground her until her hundredth birthday, but she can't bother herself with that. Hope shuts everything out save for the undeniable dread of seeing Josie. She can't deal with it right now, her heart only slowing down once she is in the quiet of her room.

Hope slumps against the door, running a hand through her hair. The kiss replays in her head and she curses the faint smile tugging her lips.

Don't be selfish, Hope. She deserves better.