The date part 2

"You were really scared, weren't you?"

"Shut up."

"It was really cute."

"It was embarrassing."

Amber and Henry were sitting opposite each other in the café on the edge of the ice rink. People's yells were echoing around the high-ceilinged room as they skated, but Amber had insisted they have a milkshake first. Just one, two straws.

She was now checking her arm. "I think you left fingernail marks..."

"I'm so sorry," Henry gasped.

"...and drew blood here."

"I'm really, really sorry." Henry had stood up and was peeling Amber's hands away.

"I was kidding." Amber pulled her sleeve over the cut. "You didn't hurt me at all."

Henry looked unconvinced, but sipped at the milkshake anyway.

"Do you want to get onto the track?" Amber asked, tying her laces under the table. They were both wearing the boots already.

They made their way unsteadily to the edge and began shuffling along the plastic barriers. Amber suddenly grabbed at Henry's hand.

"Sorry, I thought I was slipping," she said, not letting go.

They struggled on for a few metres more. "This isn't working," Henry said. "I think we need to do something like--"

He couldn't remember what happened to his feet, but next minute he was on the floor and Amber was laughing.

She reached for his hand and slipped over too.

~~~

"That was a very nice date," Amber said as they walked back to the dorm, hoods pulled low over their faces.

"Very nice?"

"Yes. I enjoyed it."

Henry smirked before he realised he was doing it. It was a success. "Enough to maybe go out again?"

"Henry, I'm in love with you," Amber scoffed. "I would be stupid not to."

"You're...in love...with me?"

Amber turned to Henry. "Yes."

"It doesn't seem to mean anything to you," Henry said. He looked at his feet.

"It does." Amber touched Henry's arm lightly. "Henry, love isn't an easy feeling."

Henry sighed. "I know it isn't."

"No, you don't." Amber stroked Henry's cheek with her smooth hand. "Remember how you felt in the haunted house. I feel that way about love." She suddenly glanced up. "Without the desire to run away, obviously."

"That's reassuring. You don't want to run away from me," Henry commented dryly.

"What's wrong now?"

"My l-love for you is no joke."

"Neither is mine. I just have a different way of showing it."

Henry hummed.

"Oh come on, don't do that," Amber moaned. "Stop sulking."

She watched Henry stick his bottom lip out grumpily and ignore her.

Fine.

That was when Amber grasped the back of Henry's neck and pulled him down for a kiss. They kissed shakily for a moment before Henry slid his hands around Amber's waist.

The only person who saw their first kiss was a woman walking her dog. She rarely listened to music and wasn't particularly interested in the two youths.

Amber pulled away slowly. Her cheeks became red, but she determinedly stared at Henry. He looked shocked.

"I..." he tried. He sighed again.

Amber hugged him. "Our first kiss," she whispered into his chest. "Our relationship goes up to the next level in one, two..."

"...three." Henry smiled. "Do you want to...kiss again?"

"If you want to..."