Chapter 15

Patrickshook Hamish's hand and said goodbye to the other members of the class, leaving David behind to talk to Hamish while he loaded their luggage in the car.

Patrick walked taller, straighter. He felt more at home in his body than ever before. Thank God for David's yoga retreat idea. If they hadn't had that getaway, he wasn't sure if anything would have happened between them. Patrick would forever be grateful to David for giving him the space to explore that newly discovered part of himself, and he hoped they'd find the space (and time) to continue exploring once they were back in Schitt's Creek. The thought of it just being a weekend of fun had his stomach in knots.

After loading their bags in his trunk, Patrick leaned against it to wait for David. The man was a wonder. He'd managed to land the deal with Hamish, nailed his first headstand, and set things right in Patrick's world with a tenderness and enthusiasm that thrummed under Patrick's skin.

To eat some time as he waited for David, he pulled out his phone to check his email and see if there's been any movement on some grants he had applied for. The top of his inbox showed a message from one of his college buddies in Toronto.

Hey Patrick,

What are you up to these days? I was at a networking thing last night and someone mentioned they're looking for a business coach to help them launch a catering business here in Toronto. She mentioned she's finishing out her current job now and will be ready to start working on the business in a few weeks. It sounds right up your alley, so I made sure to talk you up. She'd really like to talk to you. Photo of her business card attached. Give them a call and let me know how it goes? Let's grab lunch when you've moved back to Toronto.

Jake

Patrick's stomach sank with each word he read. A new gig. It was what he'd wanted, right? But now? After things progressed with David? He shoved his phone in his pocket and paced back and forth next to the car.

A few weeks would be right after Rose Apothecary opened. That would normally be about the time he'd move onto his next client, but he wasn't ready to move on from David. He wasn't sure he'd ever be ready for that.

If he stayed in Schitt's Creek, what would he do? It wasn't exactly a bustling metropolis with numerous opportunities to help launch businesses. But Schitt's Creek had David.

Patrick gave his head a shake. David had started to tell him yesterday that he wanted to keep working with Patrick, but what would he do? Stock shelves? That was hardly his professional passion.

Stocking shelves with David though? Sending each other glances across the room as customers browsed. Sneaking kisses in the stock room. Arguing over the best placement of breath mints. Patrick smiled. Working with David would certainly be interesting.

Interesting, but not what he wanted to do with his career. His career was about helping business owners like David achieve their dreams.

That was Patrick's dream. Right?

Suddenly, he wasn't so sure.

It wasn't just his decision, anyway. He and David hadn't exactly talked about what the progression in their relationship had meant. Given David's track record, Patrick doubted David was looking for something long-term. Then again, David seemed so... happy. Patrick thrived on David's glances and moments of unguarded affection before he put his protective wall back up. That wall had stayed down more and more often.

Opening a business and signing a lease on a store showed commitment, and maybe David could make that kind of commitment in other parts of his life. Maybe. But could Patrick?