Chapter 3

Okay, so maybe Patrick wasn't quite as bad as he'd feared. David had been right on the college frat boy vibe, but instead of being fresh out of college, Patrick looked more like the accountant for a national fraternity association office.

Responsible. Organized. Earnest. Surprisingly witty.

Patrick probably had a drawer full of folded khaki pants in various shades of taupe, as David had designer denim in various shades of black. David mentally scowled at the offensive comparison.

If they were meeting at his favorite gay bar in NYC, David would have thought Patrick was flirting with him. Flirty banter and lingering glances. Ordering their meal was definitely a power move. And kinda hot.

Ordering for someone else during a business meeting sent a different message and they certainly weren't in a gay bar in NYC. Unfortunately. Maybe Patrick was trying to prove that he was a take-charge guy who could get things done or that he wanted David to know who held the purse strings, even if by proxy.

The warm, flirty glow faded faster than when the feds had emptied his parent's mansion.

Patrick cleared his throat. "That's just an idea though. You're leading this ship and I'm your first mate."

David blinked twice. Shit. He missed what Patrick had said. "Sorry, can you say it again?" He glanced around. "I, uh, got distracted by Jocelyn's blouse." Was that leopard print and cheetah? Pink and turquoise?! Horrific.

Humor danced in Patrick's eyes as David bit back a smirk. If they were on a date, David would know exactly how to play it to get one or both of their pants down. Patrick's vibe screamed straight, though. If David were to list out every stereotype he had for a straight, white man, Patrick would tick them all. David knew better than to stereotype, but instincts had to count for something. The blue button-up with khaki's was usually a warning bell for his straight-dar. He casually looked at Patrick's left hand. No ring or tan line. That seemed surprising. The boy-next-door vibe seemed to work across sexual orientations.

"I was just saying that I did a bit of research last night and it looks like there are several small business grants that we—I mean you, with my help, if you want it—could apply for, depending on some details about the business."

David studied Patrick as he took a long sip of his drink. He hadn't considered looking for additional funding and sort of assumed all he had to work with was Wendy's investment. Additional money could provide some breathing room and help him create the ambiance he knew would work for his vision. He was pushing it with Wendy's money given the state of the space. There wasn't even a door on the bathroom. "That's a great idea." After he said the words, he almost regretted the surprise in his voice, but Patrick didn't seem to notice or mind if he did.

"Could you tell me more about your idea? Wendy didn't share many details with me."

Not surprising since she hadn't been able to wrap her mind around his concept. David sat his drink down. "It's a general store, but it's also a very specific store. It's also not just a store, it's like a place where people can come and get coffee or drinks, but it's not a coffee shop, nor is it a bar."

David got distracted by Patrick studying him. The distraction erupted into full annoyance when Patrick had the audacity to laugh at him. Patrick sobered quickly, but the laugh stung. He should have known his mom had been right. His dad cast a wide shadow. Maybe the Rose entrepreneurial gene had skipped him.

David looked down, rubbing circles on his glass. "So, yeah, it's an environment. We will be selling things, but it's more like a branded immersive experience." His voice trailed off and he risked a look at Patrick. He could make up an excuse and get out of there. A plumbing emergency at the hotel or something.