Part 41- Love proof

ANNE

- Diana, what do you have in mind for your birthday? It's close, isn't it? - Anne asked her friend. They were both in the redhead's room,  taliking and eating popcorn on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Diana threw her long black hair back and answered:

- Yes, that's in two weeks. I don't want anything big, I thought of something intimate just for friends and some family.

- What does your mother think of that? I know she loves parties as much as she loves dresses. - Anne thought of Diana's mother always dressed in the latest fashion, her hair impeccably tidy, perfect make-up and elegant. She was a woman who had always lived in society, knew half of the world, having traveled all her life, first with her mining parents, and then with her business husband. She spoke correctly, behaved like a great lady and demanded the same kind of attitude from her daughter. But Diana was the opposite of her mother. She also liked parties and dresses, but she was not a great lover of long trips, preferring short walks in the outskirts of Avonlea, she valued true friendships, not caring if they had an aristocratic cradle or not. Although she knew how to behave correctly, as she had been educated like that since she was born, she hated being stuck in conventions. She wanted to be free and acted like one, so she was a constant target of reproach from her mother.

Diana's father was completely different from his wife. Since she had been raised among influential people, she had had a great education, had studied in the best schools, but did not care so much about appearances. For him, the most valuable thing about the man was his character, so he remembered his wife's way of wanting to shape Diana to her likeness, but he did not agree with her. A prestigious marriage was not always a guarantee of happiness, and what he wanted was for Diana to be happy, no matter how she chose to live and with whom.

Anne interrupted his line of thought to pay more attention to what Diana was saying:

- Ah, Anne. You know my mother. She never misses an opportunity to show off to society as if I were an auction piece. She obviously didn't like my idea.

- You told me she'd accepted your dating with Jerry. Did she change her mind again?- Anne waited for her friend's answer while she served herself more popcorn.

- She did, but I think deep down she's hoping I'll change my mind. I know very well that she would rather see me married to a successful farmer than a student who pretends to be a lawyer. - Diana answered  laughting. - My mother has not yet realized that she and I have nothing in common.

- You're a wonderful person, Diana. Don't ever change that part of you. I'm very proud to be your friend. - Anne kissed her friend on the cheek.

- Thank you, Anne. I admire you very much too. In fact, you're the one who made me open my eyes to new prospects. I've learned a lot from you. Before, I was just a country girl, living a life that others planned for me, but when you came here you taught me the true taste of freedom, of being able to choose for myself the paths I want to follow, and discover everything I am capable of doing. All this I owe to you.

Anne smiled happily at Diana. She was surprised to learn that the girl saw her as a role model to be followed, soon she was a girl who until another day was despised for being an orphan. It was very good to inspire people in a positive way, because it showed her that in spite of the hardships she had gone through, she had managed to become a decent person, with good feelings, without resentment in her heart. She could move on, knowing that in such a big world there were countless possibilities to explore and she was part of it.

- Are you going to meet Gilbert today?- Diana wanted to know.

- I was supposed to go to his farm later. Mary's having a niece over for the weekend, and she wants to introduce us.