Chapter Part 31- The feelings in my heart

GILBERT

Gilbert had left the Cuthbert house on Saturday morning as soon as they both arrived from their little trip to Charlotte town. He wanted to stay a little longer until he was sure Anne would wake up better, but he thought maybe Marilla and Matthew wouldn't approve, so he went back to his farm with Mary and Sebastian.

He spent the rest of the day looking forward to hearing from her, but he couldn't get it without going to Green Gables. Mary, realizing his state of mind, told him she would visit Anne the next day and bring him the news he so desired.

Grateful, Gilbert turned his attention to his studies, but he often found himself thinking of Anne. He wanted to stay close to her for as long as possible, but he did not know whether he would succeed after all that had happened and with her ill, the situation had worsened considerably.

What encouraged him was that perhaps on Monday, if she was better, he hoped she would go to school so that they could talk. Who knows, they might have the chance to solve that pendency between them?

Mary and Sebastian didn't take long to get back from the Cuthberts' farm bringing great news. Anne was almost fully recovered, and had accepted Mary's invitation to be maid of honor at her wedding and Sebastian.

Gilbert smiled happily. It had been his idea for that invitation. When Mary had said she needed to find someone to take the rings at the time of the ceremony, the image of Anne came immediately to Gilbert's mind, and Mary had loved his suggestion, for the redhead was beautiful and her presence would add even more brilliance to the long-awaited wedding.

So the boy had spent the whole weekend counting the hours for Monday to arrive. On Sunday night, his anxiety was at its peak, he tried everything to calm down, he even played chess with Sebastian, but lost all the games, because his thoughts were far from there.

Finally it was dawn, and Gilbert walked to school as fast as he could, and as soon as he arrived he met Anne near the students' lockers. Even though she was still a little pale, she looked as beautiful as ever. She wore a blue beret which she took off at that moment to keep in her personal closet, leaving her amazing red hair stuck in a single braid.

Gilbert approached her anxiously to talk to her, and the first thing she said when she saw him next to her was:

- Good morning, Blythe. - he felt a tightness in his heart. So they'd gotten back to formalities? He was used to being called that by his friends, so what was the importance of a name? He knew it did, for when Anne called him that, he had the impression that she put thousands of miles between them.

What did he expect? That she would throw herself into his arms after the way he had treated her there at the book club? It's true that he had tried to apologize, but it didn't seem to have been very successful, because he could feel how far she had come from him again. It was also in her face that Anne couldn't remember the moments she had had with him when the boy came into her room to look after her. He knew she was very ill that night, but deep in his heart he had a foolish hope that she would remember the caress they had exchanged.

In the midst of her frustration, he tried to concentrate on what she was saying and had time to listen to her say it:

- Thank you for taking care of me this weekend. I hope I wasn't an unpleasant patient.

Gilbert looked at Anne and was going to say that he loved every moment with her, even though the girl had been unconscious of his presence the whole time, and that anywhere in the world with her was paradise for him, but he thought it best to keep that thought to himself, so he simply said: