Celebrations

The feast was in full swing when Merlin arrived at the banqueting hall.

Wine and cheese accompanied with fruit were flowing freely and fast as servants dashed to and fro, taking out empty platters and bringing in fresh ones.

The air itself felt as though it was part of the celebration. Even the grouchiest man couldn't help but lift a smile in this atmosphere.

Usually Merlin would be hustling about with the servants, but tonight Arthur was kind enough to allow him to enjoy the evening as a guest. Merlin was still reeling from that; he couldn't  believe Arthur could be so nice!

He walked around nodding in greeting to those he passed by.

Then he saw her, the one he was looking for.

Hunith's smile shamed the candlelight that came from the chandelier above. Nothing compared to the look she gave her son.

Merlin embraced his mother tightly breathing in her soft scent that always reminded him of home. "Oh Merlin!" Hunith cried in delight.

"Mother! Don't cry. It's supposed to be a happy moment," Merlin teased his mother.

"Oh you! I can't help it," Hunith laughed in reply, but she wiped her tears away.

"Merlin," his mother began. "I would like you to meet someone. This here is Tytus, he has been living in Ealdor for 8 months now."

A man around the age of his mother stood besides her. His eyes were sharp and alert as he studied Merlin before extending his hand towards him.

"A pleasure to meet you, Merlin. Your mother is very proud of you. She never ceases to talk about you." He gave a gruff laugh at his last statement.

Merlin studied this man. He was unsure of the relation between his mother and Tytus.

Merlin put on a pleasant smile when he realized the man was talking to him. "Oh, sorry. Likewise." Merlin shook Tytus' hand.

There was something that Merlin could not single out about this man that gave him a queer feeling, but he silenced that thought before it could grow any further.

Not today, he thought.

Just then the crowd began to applaud loudly. Cheers and toasts were made at the entrance of the King and Queen.

Merlin excused himself from his mother and strode towards the royals. "Something tells me it is going to be a long night for you two," Merlin said quietly to them.

"Tell me about it," Guinevere said as she sighed and placed her hand on her abdomen. "I think I'm going to need something to keep me going, otherwise I'm not going to be a pleasure to be around."

Arthur's eyes went a bit wide as he knew the side effects of pregnancy. Merlin chuckled when he saw Arthur's expression.

"Merlin," Guinevere said, stopping anything from erupting between the two men. "Would you please run down to the kitchens and get some fig jam for me?"

Merlin's attention went to Guinevere.

"Certainly, my lady," the manservant replied and bowed. "Anything else?" She shook her head and he left to the kitchens.

Merlin had been sent on a few trips to the kitchens since Guinevere's pregnancy began. She had been craving sour foods as it helped with the nausea.

Merlin couldn't help the smile that formed when he thought about his friend.

Gwen, that young lady who was so flustered when he first met her. She always corrected herself and stumbled over her words when she was talking to him or any other gentleman.