CHAPTER 14 - LIES & MORE LIES

A/N - THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE, SO GO READ CHAPTER 13 IF YOU HAVEN'T!! Also..this one is much longer than my other chapters...

. . .

Part of me still doesn't believe him fully. Trust is hard for me, so how can I truly know that he is okay with the fact that I have a child? I guess there's only one way to really find out. He'll meet her eventually, but I don't expect him to come into the hospital with me. But for now, telling him about her is something I can find solitude in.

"Well...like I said she is basically my entire world. When I'm not working, I am with her..." I start but trail off as the confused look from before returns to his face.

"Wait, I'm sorry for interrupting, but is she the said 'roommate' you always talk about?" His question makes me laugh, like really laugh, because I know how stupid it sounds that I was calling my daughter my roommate.

"Yeah...that's her...I just didn't know how to tell you or if I was ready to..." My laughter minimizes to a smile as I bite down on my bottom lip, growing shy at the fact he caught me in that lie.

"No, I understand, but that just means your daughter is a fan of my music." He has a smug look on his face, as if he is proud of that fact.

"Hey...all I said was she likes Watermelon Sugar, but that's it...Although, she did have me play it on repeat for like thirty minutes one morning..." My smile grows wider as I shake my head, recalling the memory from that morning. Moments like that are some of my favorites with my baby girl. My eyes land back on Harry and he has a smile plastered on his face as well, his face turned toward mine and his eyes scanning up and down. I feel my cheeks grow warm and I turn my head away, not wanting him to see the effect he has on me.

"Okay, okay. Aside from the fact she's now my number one fan, what is she like?" I think he picks up on my shyness, but thankfully brings the conversation back around.

"Generally, she's the happiest, most friendly person I think I have ever met...Whenever we go out, she loves to people-watch, but in a good way. She'll smile and wave and say hi to anyone who passes her...She's really goofy too. I mean she'll say or do things that just make you full on belly laugh...I think she just loves the attention, which is such the opposite of me, so I don't know where she gets it..." My thoughts trail off, but my smile doesn't fade. How can it when I am talking about how amazing my daughter is?

"Is her father-" My head snaps in his direction, my eyes go wide and body frigid at the word, 'father'. Before he can finish his question, I intervene.

"Not in the picture." I spit out, not wanting him to ask anything further. He turns his head ever so slightly and I can see his emerald eyes peering over at me, analyzing what to say next.

"Sorry...I didn't mean to sound rude...it was just, uhm...it was complicated..." I don't know how else to describe it without having to reveal anything more to him, but I think this will suffice.

"Okay...so you rock the single, working mom business, don't you?" His demeanor is light and airy and I thank god for that because I couldn't handle anything else. Laughing at his statement, I adjust my position in the seat as we get closer to the hospital.

"I mean, I'd like to say I am a supermom, but that's not the case. I wouldn't get by without the help of my nanny, Emma..." Contemplating whether or not to share more, I pause before speaking again. "I met her before I had Ginny. Her fiance is best friends with my brother. They met years ago on their first deployment and she's been a close friend ever since." This is one of the few things I feel comfortable talking about openly.

"Oh, okay...you'll have to tell me more about your brother sometime." All I do is nod in response, but he speaks once more. "You said Emma called? And we're on the way to the hospital, so I assume something is wrong?" He furrows his brows in concern and my heart drops to the pit of my stomach at the image of Ginny bleeding, crying, and absolutely terrified without the comfort of her mom there. Guilt rises in me thinking about the fact.