Deal with a Manager: Deciphered

Start from the beginning

Silence met Yoongi's jab, and the room's occupants turned toward Jungkook's quiet form with raised brows. Hoseok knew that Jungkook was still reeling from his recent shock of figuring out his past, and he felt his heart begin beating rapidly because he was the reason behind that misfortune.

Desperate to escape the uncomfortable hush, Hoseok blurted, "We should find a way out of here."

Yoongi's eyes narrowed at Hoseok, suspicion heavy in their gaze, but he pardoned Hoseok's poorly disguised diversion nonetheless. "I assume Jungkook's already told you the only plausible exit?"

Hoseok nodded in confirmation. "Yeah." He held his hands out in a desperate sort of motion. "So, when do you think a client'll be able to summon us?"

Yoongi shrugged his shoulders. "A client is almost always available. The problem lies within which demon responds to them quicker." He pointed an accusatory finger at Hoseok, eyebrows furrowed disapprovingly. "And since Jungkook's already in a contract with you, I doubt any sensible demon would just let him snatch away another soul from them."

"Yeah, but don't we just need your permission to be summoned? It's not like Jungkook's trying to get into another contract."

"Try telling that to the greedy assholes lounging around at the bar." Yoongi averted his eyes from Hoseok's, gaze wandering the hardwood floor desparingly. "Besides, it's not like I'm in a particularly high position. The fact of the matter is that Jungkook's my only subordinate, and it's only been a few years since he's started working out in the field. If I try to submit an order to let Jungkook take another summoning, I'm probably going to get burned at the stake by angry, starving demons who've been waiting for a summoning since last year."

"What a cruel hierarchy," Taehyung muttered as disgust etched wrinkles into his forehead.

Hoseok felt his body deflate as hopelessness sank in. "So, is there no way...?"

Yoongi kept his silence, but he fixed Jungkook with a meaningful look. "Should I tell him, or are you finally gonna talk?" he asked with a bored drawl.

Hoseok startled at Yoongi's vague implication of another option, and he eagerly whirled around toward Jungkook. "What?" he barked. "What else are you not telling me?"

Jungkook trained his gaze to the floor, but Hoseok could see the frantic wavering in their hold. The demon's body trembled, and Hoseok felt immediately on edge for what was to be suggested.

"Jungkook," he said cautiously as he slowly approached Jungkook's quivering figure. He settled a hesitant hand atop Jungkook's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze when Jungkook gave him a wide-eyed glance.

"Kook," Hoseok said, his voice soft and tender. "I don't know what's got you so scared, but if it can help Taehyung-ah get back to the surface, then don't hesitate to tell me."

Jungkook stood there for a few moments more, body taut with palpable tension, before releasing a shaky sigh and meeting Hoseok's imploring gaze. "Hoseokie..." he said with uncertainty heavy in his tone, like a lost child unable to find his words. "I... There's..."

Jungkook suddenly took a deep breath and averted his gaze from Hoseok as he blurted, "I can make you a demon."

Ice froze over Hoseok's body, silencing the pounding of blood in his head with silent fury. He was vaguely aware of Taehyung reacting, making a fuss behind him, but his complaints were deafened by the lead that had encased Hoseok's head. Because he knew what decision he had to make.

But...he was terrified.

Jungkook, at the ripe age of fifteen, had gone through the exact situation Hoseok was experiencing—although, Hoseok doubted he had much choice in the matter. Jungkook, so full of love and desperation, was driven to give up his humanity.