Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"No. Only the avatar stands a chance against the Hei Bai." Orzala huffed, gnawing nervously on the inside of her cheek as she turned to watch the boy again. Cowards.

"Aang will figure out the right thing to do, Sokka." Katara flashed them both a small smile, but they didn't return it.

Aang was beginning to run out of patience as he chased the spirit. He was tiring out quickly, but the spirit did not seem to share his predicament. "Please, will you stop destroying things and listen?" With a shake of his head, he airbended himself on top of a nearby roof. "I'm just trying to do my job as spirit guide." Hei Bai paid him no mind, continuing to relentlessly smash a hut.

"Excuse me, would you please turn around?" Nothing.

"I command you to turn around now!" The boy bellowed, his patience finally snapping. The spirit paused, turning slightly to look at him, and Orzala let out a breath. Had it finally come to its senses? Her hope was shattered, though, when the Hei Bai swiftly backhanded the airbender with such force that the boy went flying into another roof.

"Aang!" Before Sokka had the chance to grab her, the princess had hopped through the window and began running toward her friend, who had crumpled to the ground once he fell. She slid to her knees beside him, ignoring the calls from Katara behind her.

Sokka grit his teeth at the action, eyes darting between the girl and the rapidly approaching spirit. She threw a fleeting glance over her shoulder, her jade eyes meeting his and pleading with him for just a moment as she helped Aang sit up. He felt something snap inside him, and he started moving before anyone else could stop him.

"Sokka!" He ignored his sister, throwing open the door and darting toward Orzala. He saw her tense up at the sound of his footsteps, but relief flooded her features when she saw him approaching. He stopped short, behind the spirit, and drew his boomerang.

"Hei Bai! Over here!" He threw his boomerang, hoping to draw its attention, but the weapon only bounced off the spirit. Hei Bai didn't even turn around. Sokka blinked, astounded, but quickly recovered, feet flying toward Aang and Orzala. The two turned to him, and Aang's eyes widened slightly.

"Sokka, what are you doing?! Go back!"

"He's right, it's not safe." His eyes shot to the princess's, and for a moment his breath caught and he was lost in the forest that was her eyes. He furrowed his eyebrows, not fully understanding why he needed to be by her side so badly.

"Which is why I'm right here with you."

Her eyes widened slightly, and she felt heat creeping up her neck to and turning the tips of her ears a light pink. "What makes you think I'm not capable of handling myself?" She snapped, trying to cover her embarrassment.

"I know you can handle yourself."

Aang's gaze darted between the two and he scrunched up his face in disgust. "Guys- flirt later, save now." The two whipped to face him, eyes wide.

"We're not-"

"Ew, what- no!"

"What do you mean ew?!"

Aang rolled his eyes, before looking toward the spirit who was once again destroying the town. "Ok, you guys go back. I can figure this out," he ordered as he stood, pushing off of Orzala to stand on his own.

"No." They both snapped.

"We fight this thing together, Aang." Sokka told him seriously, gripping his shoulder.

"I don't wanna fight him unless-"

"Look out!" Time seemed to move in slow motion for Orzala as she watched the Hei Bai suddenly dart toward them. Her eyes flashed to the two boys, and she made her mind up quickly. Her lips formed a thin line as she fell into her stance, thrusting her arms up harshly to block her friends from the spirit.

Sokka and Aang fell back, shielding themselves from the rubble and dust of the newly formed wall. They shook their heads, momentarily disoriented as they looked at each other.

And then they heard the scream.

Sokka's eyes bulged and his head shot up, his eyes meeting Orzala's frightened gaze as she was swept up by the Hei Bai. His heart plunged to his stomach, and he reached out to her in a vain attempt to grab her. The spirit began sprinting to the forest, and Sokka raced after it. "Orzala!"

A whoosh was heard above him, and he looked up to see Aang soaring after the spirit as well. That didn't stop him from running, though, even thought the spirit was far out of his sight. The ground still rumbled below him, signaling that they weren't too far ahead, so he pushed his aching legs and ran faster, ignoring Katara's calls behind him.

His lungs and throat were burning from the exertion, but he still pressed on. He was deep into the forest now. He could just barely see Aang up ahead in the dark trees, and the spirit was trampling on. He heard Orzala's frightened cry for the airbender, and his chest twinged.

The wind was tearing at her dark hair, which had fallen out of its braid long ago. The strands beat harshly against her face, and she weakly attempted to see Aang through the ebony curtain of curls. "Aang! Over here!" A flash of blue caught her eye behind them, and her gaze immediately locked onto Sokka. Her breath caught in her throat at the pure determination that was painted on his face.

She shifted her focus to Aang again, feeling a little less frightened. But she still hated spirits, and she definitely didn't want to be stuck with this one. She didn't want to be on the receiving end of its destructive tendencies. He was flying right above her now, arm outstretched. She strained, reaching for him as well.

Their fingers touched- he had secured a grip on her wrist. She let out a relieved laugh, smiling up at him. Her smile quickly faded, much like Aang was, and he must've noticed it as well as his grip became more frantic. "Aang!"

Suddenly he was gone, and so was the forest. Oddly enough, so was Hei Bai. Orzala found herself alone, standing in a temple she did not recognize. Everything was red, she observed as she spun around. Red and gold.

Her breath caught.

How did she end up in a Fire Nation temple?