[20] Consequences

Start from the beginning

A bold move that caused half of the audience to yell in horror, you went straight into the fire, gritting your teeth as you made it to Shouto and landed another punch, his cheek swelling up instantly.

Your body is regenerating too much and using too much of your aura... You should really stop before something bad happens!

The voice in your head spoke up again, completely throwing you off guard and dropping your hatsu on instinct. Shouto, not realizing that you were completely out of it and unable to react properly, had mimicked your earlier punch, aiming straight for your face - unfortunately, he had decided to embellish on that punch and put his flames in the mix.

You didn't see it coming, and you certainly didn't have time to block it.

Your vision went black, your last conscious thought wondering what the hell your back had just crashed into as you passed out.

When you had regained consciousness, you had immediately recognized you were in the infirmary. While your limbs felt sore and heavier than lead, you were able to sluggishly move them. Your chest was completely exposed, gauze wrapped around your entire torso and shoulders, and for a moment you were confused as to how you wound up in here.

"Miss Freecss, you're awake."

Hearing the frail voice, you looked over to see the little old lady known as Recovery Girl walking towards you, her face stern.

"How long have I been out? What - What happened?" Your voice was hoarse and scratchy, causing you to wince when you heard the noise that left your throat. You sounded like you were dying, or like you lived in the desert or something. God, you weren't out for long, right?!

"Not even an hour." Her gaze was concerned, worry and confusion etched into her features. "Dearie... Why didn't you block? That hit could have very well killed you, no matter what world you're from - and yes, Principal Nezu told me about your predicament."

Why didn't you . . . It was still a bit hazy, but nonetheless you were able to recollect your fight with Shouto, a bandaged hand touching your face instantly. It didn't feel scarred or burned or whatever...

Noticing your panicked gaze, Recovery Girl sighed. "I was able to heal the burns, they shouldn't scar. The rest, however . . ."

Looking down at what skin was exposed, you pursed your lips. Bruises and scrapes littered your skin. You were honestly just a little bit scared to see what lied under the bandages if even these didn't heal.

". . . I don't understand what happened."

Your comment didn't help clarify anything for Recovery Girl as she checked your head. "Your fight with Todoroki, dearie."

"No, no," you protested, voice cracking. "Last minute... Right before I got punched, my hatsu - er, special ability - died out. It should have lasted another minute, and I don't - I don't understand why it didn't hold up. On top of that... I was sleeping. I should have recovered myself . . ."

Recovery Girl gave you a frown in response. "I couldn't tell you . . . I don't know anything about your abilities, unfortunately."

Now that you were focusing more on it, you felt... strange. You weren't sure how to explain it, and decided your best course of action would be to manually heal yourself with your nen. Closing your eyes, you tried to focus, urging your nen to get to work and...

Nothing.

It was there, a faint glimmer, but definitely unattainable and out of reach. It was as if a thick glass barrier separated you from your nen, rendering it unusable for the time being.