[x.1] Special

"Holy shit."

Eyes widened in awe, you couldn't help but gaze up at the towering skyscrapers that loomed over the city known as York New. Having grown up on an island and not spending a lot of time in an actual city, it was all too new for you, every little thing amazing you and catching your attention. Business men in a hurry carrying large brief cases briskly walked down the sidewalk, women tittered on the side holding tens and tens of shopping bags. A kid, barreling down the street on the skateboard and weaving through traffic that strangely reminded you of your friend Killua.

The air, however, was one thing you could not get used to.

Spending most of the time in what was basically the wild, you were used to softer, more natural scents. York New City was entirely industrial, smoke billowing up into the air and the smell of sewers and hot dogs penetrated your nose as you wrinkled it up in disgust. Yeah, you were not a fan of the smell.

Gross stench aside, the rest of the city amazed you. It was so vast, so gigantic, that it actually made you worry about how you were going to meet up with your friends again. It was September 1st, after all, but you couldn't recall setting a meeting point, and your cellphone... Well...

Pulling the mangled and broken piece of junk from your pocket, you let out a sigh. You forgot to put it away when training and had completely smashed it when practicing your ren. You didn't have a lot of money, just some spare coins from scavenging and selling, but it should be enough to barter you a new phone. That would have to be your first stop - there was no way you could contact Gon or the others without a cellphone.

Walking down the street brightly, you took in all the sights, humming a happy tune and weaving through the people that crowded the sidewalk.

Making a stop, you noticed a café to your left, your stomach growling in agreement to your thoughts. You were starving, and one little bite couldn't hurt, right? You ran across the street with no hesitation, waving at the cars that aggressively honked at you as you peered through the window. The food looked tasty enough, but at this point you'd be willing to eat almost anything.

Going in, a burst of warm air greeted you, smells of pastries and soups giving you a reprieve from the city air as you walked up to the café to order a sandwich. Handing over the money, as soon as you sat down to eat, you started shoving the food into your mouth, ignoring the disgusted looks from the customers as you focused on the only thing important in your life: your sandwich.

"[Y/n]?"

Mouth full of food, making your cheeks puff out, you glanced up to see a familiar face that you hadn't seen since you all had made it to the Zoldyck mansion. You immediately swallowed your food, grinning up at the man.

"Leorio!"

You didn't hesitate to get up and give him a hug, startling the teen as he patted your head somewhat awkwardly. "You're really that excited to see me, huh...?"

Pulling away, you nodded. "Of course! I missed you all so much!"

This caused Leorio to get flustered as he looked away, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well, I guess it's good to see you too," was his response, but you knew that he didn't really mean it. Even if he tried to hide it, you knew he was happy to see you!

Leading him to your table, you didn't hesitate to start chowing down again, ignoring the exasperated sigh that left your senior's mouth. "It's nice to see you haven't changed a bit..." he grumbled, and you opted to not reply as he started to speak again. "We've been trying to contact you for the past three hours! Don't you know how to answer your phone?"