[33] Specialist

You didn't know what Kurapika and Aizawa had talked about, as you had been immediately banished to your room after dinner. You supposed you could have eavesdropped with your nen, but you were polite and waited patiently until you were called back out into the living room. You had made your displeasure clearly known, but neither Aizawa or Kurapika looked like they really cared. Soon, your focus was drawn to a cup filled with water on the table, a single leaf placed in it. You stuck out your tongue.

"I already know my nen type," you told Kurapika irritably. "I don't need to do this again."

Kurapika shook his head, his eyes more thoughtful than anything else. Contemplative. "You say you're an enhancer, right?" He waited for your nod of confirmation to continue. "From what I've seen from the Sports Festival, and training with you, it doesn't seem right. It shouldn't drain you that much to be using abilities from your nen category. Adding on, I believe that voice in your head that warns you and tries to help you out might be a hatsu you subconsciously made."

You shifted on your feet, frowning slightly. "My nen teacher was pretty thorough when it came to my abilities. I doubt he would have messed something up." Not to mention you doubted that voice was of your own creation, but that was a topic for another time.

And my teacher... he wouldn't have messed something up on accident, your brain had immediately supplied. After all, how many times had he screwed you over?

It was enough to get you to pause again, and you sighed, kneeling on the ground on the opposite side of the table. You shot him an irritated look before holding your hands around the cup, immediately feeling the nen pool up in your hands. As expected of an enhancer, the water began to fill, overflowing the cup before the glass shattered, tiny shards exploding outwards and water getting everywhere.

"See? Enhancer."

"No... You're a specialist."

You froze, your mouth popping open slightly in confusion as you stammered. "Uh.... You did see the water overflow, right...?"

Kurapika sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, and you suddenly felt very confused. "If you were an enhancer, that's all that should have happened. The glass literally just shattered, meaning you have been training in the wrong nen category."

You sat there dumbly for a moment, looking back and forth from Aizawa and Kurapika, unsure of how to react. Your teacher had been silent the entire time, watching the exchange tiredly, and Kurapika looked even more thoughtful from before. It made sense... You guessed. You weren't entirely sure on the basics of nen, but it wasn't surprising that your nen teacher had made you train in the wrong nen category. Just another way to mess around with you, you supposed.

". . . Well, what do I do, then?"

Kurapika looked over at Aizawa, his eyebrows furrowed. "Your quirks here are pretty inflexible and can't really be changed that much. If she starts training in other categories, could that be written off as a quirk misclassification?"

"It depends. By law, people can change their quirk registry once - if you two work on something else, it's highly possible that we can change her quirk classification within reason," he supplied, thinking hard about it. Within reason... Well, shoot, you could have come up with a super cool hatsu if you knew this beforehand! Now you couldn't do anything too outlandish lest you stood out even more than you already did! A pity - if you could have trained in emitter attacks, you could have made literal finger guns to shoot beams of aura out of your index finger.

Throwing yourself back as your back roughly hit the floor, you groaned. "Why is my life like this?"

Neither Kurapika nor Aizawa answered you for a moment. When Kurapika next spoke, it had nothing to do with your question. Instead, he was back to the nen topic.