[9] Spreading Anxiety

Start from the beginning

You felt bad for him. It was a semi-awkward situation, and he definitely didn't seem to know how to keep up a casual conversation with you. That was fine, you figured you could do enough talking for the both of you.

Leaning back in your chair, you ran a hand through slightly tangled [h/c] hair, your fingers gently working through the knots you didn't get when getting ready this morning. "Doesn't feel like it's been a week, but... I dunno. It's so different. Some of it is good different, but I don't really like this place, honestly," you confessed, meeting his eyes with a solemn look on your face. "All of these rules and regulations are so stiff. Not to mention unfair. This whole hero versus villain business just seems really two-dimensional. And then there are vigilantes, who try to do the right thing but get in trouble - it just seems way too black and white."

You weren't done rambling as Tsukauchi listened patiently. "Did you know I can't just go buy a ticket to go to another country? Because I'm not considered an adult here, I have to either wait a couple years or have my parents' consent. What's up with that? Back in my world, Gon and Killua and I could do whatever we wanted, and they're only 13 right now! We never needed a parent's permission. So I don't know. There are too many rules and laws to follow, and it's frustrating."

Done with your rant, you crossed your arms and huffed, your face becoming even more serious as you looked Tsukauchi squarely in the eyes. "At USJ yesterday... Those guys were trying to hurt us, and we weren't even allowed to fight back at all. I got in trouble for protecting myself and my friends. I didn't even hurt anybody - well, too badly. Do you realize how stupid that is?"

The poor detective, who had just listened to your onslaught of aggravated words, held his hands up in a placating manner. "I know it's different here than your own world, and it's probably overwhelming, but until you can get back, you can't stand out. I understand it's frustrating to you, but it's for your own safety. Do you understand?"

He was so nice that it made it hard to be mad at him, and you bitterly nodded, pursing your lips in a show of irritation. "I know. I know it's to keep me safe. But the villains already know about me apparently, so what's the point?"

"The point is that it's still not widely known. If it gets out that you're from... another place... you'll never have a moment of privacy. The media will be after you, every villain will be after you. You won't be able to move freely at all." You winced at that last part, at the thought of being cooped up somewhere, and Tsukauchi caught on, matching your eyes with a serious look of his own. "This isn't a game here. You could have died back there from fighting those villains. They wouldn't hesitate to kill you, even if you're a child--"

"I'm not a child!" Your voice came out louder and harsher than you meant, and you shrunk slightly as some of the café's visitors glanced over at the two of you. "I'm not a child," you repeated, more quietly. "I've been in more dangerous situations than you can probably imagine. This League of Villains or whatever is nothing compared to the Phantom Troupe. They don't scare me."

Tsukauchi shook his head, looking somewhat exasperated at your outburst. "I think you're underestimating the people of our world, Miss [Y/n]. I understand your abilities are versatile, but quirks here can be just as dangerous. If you get too sure of yourself, the next time you meet villains, you might not make it. Do you understand? That's why it's important for you to lay low, and not engage with a villain when he starts talking about your background."

Wincing, you asked, "You heard about that?"

Tsukauchi chuckled. "All Might was there, too. Your classmates should drop it and not bother you about it, so don't worry. We told them that the villains were just making stuff up to cause discord." You nodded, and it was at this time the waitress came back, placing a large parfait filled with your favorite fruit to the top. Immediately, you started to dig in, thanking the waitress and then Tsukauchi, who only watched you with an amused look on his face.